Untitled Part 7

After a moment's thought, Milia had a clear idea. She reached into her pocket and took out a gold nugget. "If you truly believe Kenny is alive, then we have a common goal. I want to find him too."

Ethan remained silent, looking at her.

"You planned to join the Chenoss as a guard and assistant for gold. Why can't I buy your services?" Ethan was speechless. Her reasoning was irrefutable. Wanderer werewolves like him often worked as mercenaries.

Milia pressed the gold into Ethan's hand. "Don't worry. If my husband truly harmed the wolf clan, I'll turn him over to the elders and the high priest."

Ethan smiled and struggled to stand, using a nearby tree for support. Milia reached out to help him, and he didn't refuse. The two silently left the valley, heading for Lawrence Castle.

On the way, they encountered a group of Lawrence guards in the forest, led by Captain Liam. Liam, surprised to see them, explained that he was sent by Alec to ensure Milia, "roaming" alone in the forest, was safe. Liam had noticed Ethan's bandaged chest and walked beside Milia, inquiring about it.

After thinking for a moment, Milia explained that she found Ethan injured outside, likely in conflict with forest beasts during the full moon. Liam frowned. "Milia, be careful with Ethan. He's notorious in the river domain."

"Oh, you know about him?" Milia asked quietly.

"He's quite a troublemaker in the river domain, sought after by many factions. Hmph, wanderer werewolves have no tribes, hence no loyalty," Liam grumbled. He not only disliked mercenaries like Ethan but also distrusted outsiders.

Back at Lawrence Castle, Ethan haughtily left them and headed toward the tavern in the square. Liam insisted on escorting Milia to the Olive Courtyard. Milia, not wanting to explain her temporary plans, let Liam and his men take her home.

After thanking and bidding farewell to the guards at the door, Milia pushed open the courtyard gate and was surprised to find it unusually tidy and clean. The air even carried the scent of freshly baked bread. She walked briskly toward the dining room and saw Mrs. An busy at the stove, bringing out a plate of round bread.

Seeing Milia enter, Mrs. An's face lit up. "You're back! Oh, thank goodness. I was worried sick about you, my dear, out there all alone," she said, quickly slicing the bread and spreading butter on it, then pouring a large glass of fresh milk for Milia.

Milia, famished from her long day in the forest, eagerly accepted and bit into the soft bread before realizing she hadn't asked, "Did you do housework while I was away? Thank you so much, Mrs. An."

Mrs. An smiled and waved it off, then turned back to her work.

After eating, and feeling sleepy, Milia decided to take a nap in her bedroom and return to the shack later that night. Perhaps due to exhaustion, she woke up to find it completely dark. She groped for a candle on the bedside table but found nothing. Slowly getting up, she opened the bedroom door to faint light downstairs, possibly from a room.

Milia became wary, knowing Mrs. An must have gone home to care for her paralyzed father. The image of the mysterious intruder from a few days ago reappeared in her mind. She grabbed her gear and quietly descended the stairs. As expected, the living room candles were lit, and the lamp in the separate archery room leading to the courtyard was also on, as if someone was waiting for her.

Taking a deep breath, Milia approached the small wooden room where she kept her bow and arrows. Pushing the door open with a creak, she saw a tall werewolf standing under the light. Thomas, the leader of the southern Chenoss, looked at her with his head tilted and eyes lowered, showing no signs of evasion. His gaze was hostile, and the imposing figure wrapped in his robe did not seem to come with good intentions.