Chapter 21

Liam's gaze shifted to Ethan's face, once etched with the untamed aura of a former mercenary, now adorned with the unwavering resolve akin to that of a seasoned soldier. Encouragingly, Liam inquired of Ethan, "What prompted this revelation?"

"In the artisan quarter where I reside, rumors abound of exorbitant bounties for the employment of blacksmiths and craftsmen. Those ensnared by this lure are dispatched to toil in a mine nestled beneath a distant mountain range. Many vanish without a trace for months on end. The peculiarity of this circumstance intrigued me, leading me to probe further. My pursuit led me to the clandestine villa where Mrs. An currently resides. Lo and behold, there lies a substantial vein of iron ore, surreptitiously concealed, possibly for many years, serving as the clandestine wellspring of their private mining operation," Ethan elucidated.

Liam's astonishment was palpable. The clandestine exploitation of an iron mine without formal disclosure was tantamount to treason.

"They are forging armaments, alongside the recent fabrication of large-scale cargo wagons and robust iron crates," Ethan continued. His peripatetic past and stint as a casual laborer at the docks endowed him with keen insights. He swiftly discerned the imminent transportation of substantial goods, likely of ponderous weight, necessitating the bespoke craftsmanship of durable iron crates. "I shadowed their movements once more, witnessing the transportation of completed wagons and crates to a location in close proximity to the villa. Moreover, they cleared a path on the villa's western periphery, overlaying a bed of gravel conducive to traversing heavy loads, preempting the peril of wagon subsidence into the mire."

Ethan's fervor was palpable as he rose to his feet, seizing a charcoal implement to sketch upon a wooden board adorning the office wall. With deft strokes, he delineated a rudimentary cartography of the villa's environs. Indicating westward, he gestured toward a narrow gorge wending its way seaward in the distance.

"Once a coursing river, this gorge now stands desiccated, its erstwhile bed smoothed by the sands of time, bereft of towering arboreal sentinels. With a modicum of clearance to eradicate encroaching foliage, heavy-laden wagons can traverse its confines unimpeded. Within a span of no more than three days, they shall reach the coastal terminus. I surmise arrangements have been made for an ocean-faring vessel to facilitate their departure." Ethan gestured expansively, indicating the far reaches of the wooden tableau. "During my tenure as a mariner, the ship's first mate imparted to me the art of charting seafaring courses. The oceanic currents in these waters are known for their capriciousness, beset by frigidity and tempestuous squalls. Only two months afford suitable conditions for maritime voyage, whereby favorable currents propel passage to a hitherto unexplored continent to the west. Their labor in clearing the gorge's passage these days suggests an imminent departure, within a maximum span of three days."

"By the heavens, what machinations brew within their minds? The western continent remains a myth, an uncharted realm whence no voyager hath returned," Liam exclaimed, perplexed.

Milia remained taciturn. She comprehended all too well that should Kenny and Anna prove traitorous to their unseen benefactors, there would be no sanctuary for them. The realization of establishing an independent realm upon the fabled western shores, erecting a new order, stood as their solitary recourse. Their manipulation of devotees through false deities, coupled with the vast coffers of gold serving as the cornerstone of their nascent nationhood, though audacious in conception, bore the seeds of plausibility.

Within the villa, Anna gazed pensively upon a goblet of ruby-hued wine, swirling its contents within the flickering candlelight. Her eyes followed the undulating currents within the glass.

"Are all preparations in readiness?" she inquired, her gaze fixed ahead, addressing the figure behind her.

Burke stood steadfastly by her side, extending a hand with arms at rest, his reply resonating with deference, "All is prepared. Kenny hath been apprised, and our departure is slated for the morrow's dawn."