Chapter 18

Kenny's warning gave him enough time to escape. In a split second, he pushed Anna away, evading Annina's sword. He reached for Annina's wrist, but she kicked him in the chest, sending him sprawling.

Stepping forward, Annina gripped her sword, her emotions in check. She stared coldly at Kenny, her husband whom she had loved since youth. Kenny got up, Anna standing by, unmoving.

"Do you find it amusing to deceive me?" Annina pointed her sword at him, her voice firm. "You had this woman pretend to be a maid living next door? You orchestrated this kidnapping, didn't you? Do you not think this is absurd? Did you think I would never find out?"

Kenny avoided Annina's gaze, grabbing a long piece of wood by the fireplace to defend himself. His expression shifted from panic to defiance. "Hey, don't make it sound so noble. You're the one who betrayed me. I told you many times, but you forgot. I told you I was a dead man. It's you who insisted on pursuing the truth. You messed things up."

"What are you talking about?" Annina looked at his distorted face in disbelief. Lit by candlelight, she no longer recognized him. Tears streamed down her face, choking her speechless. Something in her heart died.

Kenny became more brazen, gripping the wood tightly. He shouted, "You could have just listened to me, done nothing. Why did you have to find me? You betrayed me to the High Priest! You're the one who made me a laughingstock!"

Annina laughed bitterly. "So, you think it's all my fault?"

"Yes, it's all your fault!" Anna walked over and stood behind Kenny, smiling sweetly.

Ignoring them, Annina turned and walked away, never looking back. She rode into the forest, tears fading into the night.

In Heidi's priestess chamber, Annina rested her head on her friend's shoulder, no longer crying. In this heartbreak, Heidi hugged her silently. "Luckily, we priests don't have to marry," Heidi chuckled bitterly. "Otherwise, I couldn't bear it. I never thought this malicious woman had been lurking near your home. She must not be a werewolf but a shapeshifting, spell-casting half-breed."

Annina looked up. "The so-called kidnapping was a conspiracy they planned. I will never forgive them." Her eyes burned with fiery vengeance. She had mourned her love enough, but she was not one to drown in grief. As an elf, she could control her emotions well, her experience as a young warrior shaping her strong character.

"What are you going to do next?" Heidi asked, her lips tight, ready to support her friend unconditionally.

Annina thought for a moment, then smiled coldly. "Let the people see the true face of their former leader."

Three days later, under a clear early summer sky, people gathered in the city's central square, eagerly anticipating the inauguration ceremony of the new High Priest, Eosha. Acting leader Liam, accompanied by his guards, maintained order in the square, engaging warmly with the tribal members. Elder Gabriel led other elders and officials in the council chamber, preparing scrolls and other ceremonial items.

As the ceremony approached, Milia emerged from behind a pillar, shedding her disguise of coarse cloth to reveal a stunning red dress. With head held high, she strode confidently towards the central altar. Recognizing her, the crowd began to murmur with curiosity, watching her every move.

Some in the crowd started to stir, loudly questioning whether Kenny was still alive. Milia paid no heed, walking directly to the center of the square and ascending a few steps to the altar. She turned to face the crowd, all eyes on her. Liam gestured for his guards to stand down, having been informed by Milia beforehand and supporting her actions.