Chapter 14

She turned to find the temple gate ajar, revealing the silhouette of a figure cloaked in heavy robes emerging into the sunlight—it was Kenny in disguise. He approached Milia in hushed tones, "Let us depart for home. The high priest intends to journey back to the realm of the gods, to seek repentance for his sins and intercede on my behalf, hoping for absolution from the taint of my deception."

It seemed the high priest was prepared to sacrifice his own status and future prospects to exchange Kenny's for a clean slate beneath the sun's gaze.

Silently, Milia fell into step behind Kenny, her heart an icy void. Where was Madame An now concealed? Did she dare remain within the city-state of Laurence?

With a bitter smile, Milia pondered her own hesitance. At present, Madame An's reputation remained unsullied, while she herself concealed the weight of her husband's dual transgressions.

Upon reaching the courtyard of the olive tree, Milia halted in her tracks. Turning to Kenny, she declared, "I must procure provisions, for our home is bare of sustenance and devoid of servants." Without further inquiry, Kenny hastened to push open the oak gate and slipped within.

As the door closed behind him, Milia stood alone, uncertain of her next move. Reluctant to hastily commit, she pondered the consequences of surrendering the small porcelain vial to the high priest—would it only further entangle the elderly man in Kenny's web of deceit? He had already sacrificed too much on Kenny's behalf. Perhaps it was time to spare him further anguish on the path of repentance and reconciliation within the realm of the gods.

Milia yearned for Ethan's presence in this moment of uncertainty. She envisioned entrusting him with the task of seeking out the Cheno tribe's priest to authenticate the small porcelain vial or locating Heidi. Ethan had long maintained that Kenny was responsible for Joseph's demise—had he borne witness to something?

Was he the one who had sworn to unveil the truth? For a fleeting moment, Milia wished Ethan would materialize beside her once more, to unveil Kenny's true nature or provide aid in her hour of need.

Surveying her surroundings, Milia's hope waned as Ethan failed to appear. Disheartened, she turned her thoughts to another individual she had heard of upon her return from Fangtooth Pier—a tribal election was underway, with Liam, the former captain of the guards, emerging as the favored candidate. Liam, the valiant captain who had discovered "Kenny's" lifeless body at the forest's edge.

In the wolf tribe, where valor and leadership were revered, Liam commanded widespread respect among the guards.

Indeed, Milia mused, while the tribe's daily affairs were typically overseen by the leader, during exigent circumstances such as the leader's absence or wartime, the temple's high priest held sway over the warrior organization.

Having interacted with Liam on prior occasions—be it during tribal festivities or moonlit bonfire gatherings—Milia regarded him as an esteemed guest at family gatherings. Liam, born into a lineage of warriors, epitomized the quintessential soldier. With a lineage steeped in martial prowess, Liam had devoted his life to safeguarding the territory.

Yet, amidst his martial prowess, Liam possessed an exceptional clarity and composure of mind, shunning impulsiveness and recklessness in favor of strategic deliberation.

Many triumphs under his command were won not through sheer force, but through meticulous planning and foresight.

This individual was evidently reliable, Milia concluded resolutely as she made her way towards the guards' encampment. Unlike young guards such as Eric, who resided in the communal barracks, Liam had the option of having his own abode. Many women within the tribe were eager to marry him, yet despite nearing his forties, he chose to remain within the barracks.