Chapter 2

"Should we leave the remnants of the monarchy of Padania as it is?"

Annette put the newspaper away after skimming the title with tasteless eyes. Discussing the disposition of those who had benefited from the monarchy was a topic that was dragged out on a daily basis.

Most of the nobles' property was confiscated. It was Heiner Valdemar's doing. He exposed every economic and military injustice and secrecy and scraped them to the bottom.

But the citizens still debated atonement and reckoning for their crimes. This was because some of the aristocrats and military officials had fled into exile, fleeing to foreign lands.

Countless letters of condemnation and threats were sent to Annette, the wife of the Commander-in-Chief. This became even more intense after the Republicans' proposal for a law to liquidate the monarchy.

Annette, who was staring blankly at the letters piled up on the table, covered her mouth. It was maddeningly disgusting.

It seemed like she would get sick any time soon.

After drinking a sip of cold water, Annette jumped up and left the room. The air was too stifling to bear. She wanted to walk in the deserted backyard.

Annette crossed the mansion at a fast pace. She felt the stares of the servants touching her like needles. It was extraordinary how much the servants gossip about her.

By the time she passed through the first floor corridor, she ran into a face she was not happy to see.

"Madam Valdemar."

"....... Major Eugen."

It was Eugen Markov, a loyal subordinate of Heiner. He was also one of the many who despised Annette.

"It's been a while. Are you at peace?"

Eugen asked with a smile. It was a common greeting, usually with the answer, "I'm at peace."

But the bottom line was different. He meant that you should not be at peace.

"As usual."

Annette replied as such with squeezed vanity. She walked away with a small murmur, "Bye." She didn't want to talk any more with Eugen.

"Congressman Günther put in a marriage proposal."

The voice that followed dragged her feet. His words were out of the ordinary. Annette turned her head slightly and smiled.

"...Congratulations."

"Not to me, but to the Commander-in-Chief (Heiner)."

Her lips hardened as she smiled.

"The marriage opponent is Annelie Engels, who was in the militia. She is also a colleague who's in operations with the Commander-in-Chief."

His tone was matter-of-fact. Eugen always taunted her with his casual tone of voice. Annette gently gripped her sleeve with one hand.

Republican Günther Engels.

He was the main force behind the victory of the revolution by disarming the illegal trade unions and was a great figure who had participated in the establishment of the Provisional Government.

His wife and son were killed by gunfire during the demonstrations, and his daughter Annelie Engels was active in militia organizations.

Naturally, he had been receiving great support from the public to this day.

In many ways, he was the opposite of Annette.

"...What about it?"

"By the way, madam." Eugen sneered. "Do you still live in the flower garden?"