Chapter 26

Heiner had never thought of the situation should she ever leave him. He consciously avoided the very conception of it.

This was unusual for Heiner, who was always read and prepared for the future. Only she was the exception. He was always rash and foolish when it came to her.

A colleague once said to him, "Love makes you a better person." Heiner thought that was wrong.

Because she always made him a worse person.

"I heard Annette wanted a divorce." (Ans)

At those words, Heiner's eyes glowed with a cloudy light.

"I'm going to help Annette get a court-ordered divorce. You drove your wife to suicide, so she had enough grounds for it. After that, even if she defects to France, you will not be able to enforce your rights." (Ans)

"...... it won't work the way you want." (H)

"Why, do you intend to wield the power of the Commander-in-Chief? That you detest so much?" (Ans)

Ansgar snorted as if it was bullsh*t. He seemed to think that Heiner Valdemar, with his reputation for justice and integrity, would never do such a thing because of a woman.

But Ansgar was wrong to the core. Initially, Heiner's participation in the revolution was itself because of Annette.

She was his cause.

She was also the result.

"...well."

Heiner laughed loudly as he muttered a vague reply.

"Just say you would. I will bring international shame on you for your abuse of power. You seem to forget that I am here as France's ambassador." (Ans)

It was a threat of the highest order, but Heiner did not react. Glaring at Heiner with ferocity,

Ansgar half turned his body and said.

"I guess the negotiations are useless anyway. See you in court." (Ans)

"If you go to France." (H)

Ansgar stopped dead in his tracks at the dry voice.

"Are you going to marry Annette?" (H)

"It's none of his concern." (Ans)

"Do you still love her?" (H)

Ansgar furrowed his brow as if trying to determine if Heiner was serious.

The clouds that had covered the sun dissipated, and the sky suddenly brightened.

Sunlight poured into the parlor.

With his back to the window, Heiner's face was sunken in shadows, making it hard to see.

After thinking for a long moment, Ansgar asked if there weren't any answers he could come up with.

"What do you mean?" (Ans)

"I mean it literally." (H)

"Why are you curious about that?" (Ans)

"If she goes to France with you............." (H)

Even if Annette is infertile which makes succession production impossible.

"Would you make her happier?" (H)

The edge of his voice was rough, as if scratched with sandpaper. Ansgar couldn't understand why he was asking such a question.

A moment of silence passed. Thin, wide clouds slowly drifted by. The light that had filled the room subsided slightly.

It was only then that Ansgar was finally able to see Heiner's face clearly. His eyes widened slightly. Ah. A small moan flowed from his lips.