Chapter 16

[Your Excellency, the madam was shot and rushed to a city hospital. She is currently undergoing treatment.]

The papers crumpled in his hand. A moment of silence passed. Heiner put down the papers and asked back briefly.

"What's her status..."

[She's unconscious, but not in serious condition. Um, and...]

"I'll be right there. I'll ask the doctor directly."

Heiner made it clear without further questioning the status of the accident. His subordinates who had been reporting to him in the office looked at him with bewilderment.

"What hospital is it?"

[Lutheran Hospital in Lancaster.]

Heiner hung up the phone and pressed his pager.

"Have a car waiting downstairs."

He stood up and put on his coat. His subordinates looked at each other as their boss's face sank completely.

"I'll listen to your report later."

"Yes, sir!"

In response to the commander-in-chief's short salute, his men raised their hands in attention. Without looking at them, Heiner left the office in a great hurry.

With each step he took, he felt his feet were in danger. He clenched his trembling hands tightly into fists. Everything he heard felt like a terrible noise.

Heiner ran down the stairs without waiting for the elevator. As soon as he got into the parked car, he immediately ordered.

"Lutheran Hospital. As quickly as possible."

He couldn't hide his impatience all the way to the hospital. He rummaged through his pocket and pulled out a cigar. It wasn't lit.

Heiner tilted his head back with the cigar in his mouth, his fingers tapping his thigh.

Not in critical condition. But unconscious.

The obvious questions of who, when, where, and why didn't occur to him at this moment.

Just.... He didn't feel sane. Only the report he heard over the phone kept running through his head.

Heiner squeezed his tired eyes. He felt a twinge in his neck and touched it involuntarily, but there was no relief.

The car soon arrived in front of the hospital. He tossed his unlit cigar into the ashtray and got out. He quickly entered the hospital and stood at the front desk.

"Annette Valdemar. Gunshot wound patient."

"Uh...yes! Yes, sir. Um, to the A-4-Walter! Guide this gentleman!"

A staff member hurried out from the back and led him to the hospital room. Heiner quietly followed him with a grim expression.

As soon as Heiner entered the private room, the doctor followed. The doctor's forehead was beaded with sweat, as if he had rushed to the hospital after receiving the report.

"Janice, ha, Schulze. It is an honor to meet you, Your Excellency."

Heiner did not look at the doctor, but at Annette, who lay pale. His eyes traced her body obsessively. He did not notice that his face was disturbed.

"How is she?"

"She was transported here quickly and the gunshot wound was not deep, so I got it out without complications. Her wound should heal in no time."

The doctor hesitated, finding appropriate words. However, Heiner was giving Annette his full attention and did not notice the signs.

"However, Your Excellency, I don't know if you knew, but the Madam..."