Chapter 4

Immediately a sharp headache hit her brain. She squeezed her temples and curled up her body tightly. Her head was broken, it seemed.

Annette habitually tried to find her headache medicine, only to realize later that she was out of it. She sighed and sat up.

The lush dawn light hung in the air. She sank deeper into bed and waited for the sun to rise.

Annette tended to wake up early because of her headaches, but she always killed time quietly like this. Until the world woke up and moved about.

She quite liked this time of the day. She liked that no one seemed to be alive, including herself.

It was quiet. Peaceful.

So much so that she wished the sun would never rise.

Annette turned her head to look at the seat next to her. It was where Heiner had sat yesterday.

She always woke up alone. Padania was a place where couples, both aristocrats and commoners, who normally used the bedroom together, but that was not the case for them.

In the past, Annette had visited Heiner's bedroom from time to time. She wanted to maintain their marital relationship.

Also, Annette had long wished to have a child. Doctors told her that it was difficult for her to conceive, but she still did not give up.

She thought that having a child would improve their relationship. And Heiner did not refuse her visits to the bedroom.

Why was that? Why did he not reject her?

Was he trying to make her live with vain hopes?

But Heiner was not gentle in the bedroom either. They had s*x in the dark, without taking off their clothes and with the lights off. Annette had never seen him naked.

After the end of their illicit deed, he always left the bedroom before the day dawned. Even if it was his bedroom.

It was as if it was a sin to spend the morning together. Annette closed her eyes and slumped. She felt the urge to cut off her throbbing head.

As soon as it was light, Annette called the doctor. Arnold examined her mechanically and took out some pills from his bag. They were the same pills as before.

Annette slightly frowned.

"These pills don't work very well."

"Madam, this is a good enough medicine. You seem to want some kind of perfect medicine. And migraine is a common ailment. There is no need to be oversensitive."

"Do I have to live with this headache?"

"Yes."

Annette clamped her mouth shut. She couldn't believe it, but there was nothing more to say when the doctor said it was so. It wouldn't be particularly helpful to ask him anyway.

"...I understand, in a manner of speaking. But it's not just the headache.......... my body doesn't seem to be doing well overall lately. My stomach is also very upset, and I'm wondering if it might be gastritis."

"It is probably stress-related, lack of exercise, etc. Avoid stimulating foods and walk a little instead of lying down so much."

Arnold's tone sounded like he was mocking Arnett's laziness, who always confined to her room. Sure enough, sarcasm disguised as advice followed.

"Madam grew up preciously and is sensitive to even the smallest discomfort. I can't be your personal doctor."

"...I see."