Chapter 21

It was four days later that Catherine Grott visited the official residence.

Shortly after noon, the woman put her bonnet deep over her head and announced her request for a meeting. It was the coldest day since last winter.

Annette asked Heiner to keep no one but herself and Catherine in the parlor. Heiner objected, but she was more persistent than ever.

Eventually, he allowed it on several conditions, including Catherine's body search. Heiner been had Annette carry a small knife for self-defense.

Annette entered the parlor, fiddling with the folded knife she kept in her pocket. Catherine, who had been sitting in a chair, stood up. The woman had smelled of the cold outside.

Catherine took off her hat and bowed her head. She was a common brunette and had monotonous features, but the two tear dots under her left eye made her look somewhat lonely.

Annette also bowed her head slightly and then raised it. Silence reigned as they sat down, exchanging greetings with only a head nod.

Catherine looked absent-minded. Unable to bear the discomfort, Annette opened her mouth.

"So..."

"Um...."

Their voices overlapped. Annette chuckled awkwardly.

"You first..."

"No, madam, you speak first."

"It's no big deal, let's have a cup of tea. ... what kind of tea do you like?"

"Everything is fine."

In response to the answer that came back indifferently, Annette blurted out, saying, "I see...."

This seat seemed cramped and uncomfortable. She could not make eye contact with Catherine and glanced elsewhere for no reason.

Annette knew nothing about the situation. Why did David want to hurt her, what feelings did Catherine have for her, and what was her knowledge...?

The fact that she was alone in this ignorant situation made her very uneasy.

Annette had the attendant serve two cups of warm lemongrass tea. While she was contemplating what to say while the tea was being prepared, Catherine casually inquired.

"Are you feeling well?"

"I feel much better."

"I'm very glad."

Was she sincere? Annette could not accept Catherine's words as they were. Annette's eyes suddenly touched Catherine's belly as she looked down. Noticing where her gaze was, Catherine put her hand on her stomach.

"It's five months."

".... Ah."

Catherine was newly married and she was pregnant. Somehow Annette felt strange about the news.

"Congratulations."

Annette struggled to speak in a rough, sandy voice. It was a reaction that was not at all congratulatory, even from her own ears.

"Thank you."

Catherine replied calmly. Annette clenched her hands that were resting on her lap. Her nails dug into her skin.

Her miscarriage was not revealed to the outside world. There was no way Catherine could have known. Annette felt the urge to reveal all the facts to her.

I had a miscarriage.

Because of your brother.

It was 11 weeks.