Chapter 10

Annette was having a late dinner when Heiner came into the dining room. It seemed that he had taken a bath right after work since his hair was wet.

Spotting Annette, Heiner gently raised his eyebrows. He spoke in a surprised voice.

"At this hour?"

Annette responded with a light nod of her head. She had no appetite all day, and she got hungry late.

Heiner sat down and a servant brought out some soup and a glass. Annette silently took the food into her mouth.

For a while, only the clattering of dishes filled the space.

"Annette, I heard Ansgar Stetter had visited the official residence."

Snap.

Annette's hand holding the fork stopped for a moment. She raised her head and looked at Heiner, who had an unusual expression.

The same dish as Annette's was served before Heiner. It was a Muscovy duck stuffed with a mixed garnish of mushrooms, eggs, and bread.

Heiner dismissed all the servants in the dining room with a hand gesture.

"What did you talk about?"

"Didn't you hear everything anyway?"

"Still, it's not the same as hearing it from the mouths of the parties involved, is it?"

"...he asked me to go to France with him after the divorce. That's all."

"Are you going to marry him?"

A dry smile hung on Heiner's lips.

"Was that why you wanted to divorce, so that you could marry him?"

"It was the first time I've seen Ansgar in four years."

"I don't know. You might have kept in touch with him behind my back. Like secretly digging into my past."

Even if they had exchanged contact, why would that be a matter that should be censored by Heiner? The question rose to the top of her throat, but Annette did not speak up.

"You won't be holding his hand."

A decisive voice deafened her.

"You will never leave here."

A dark, tenacious stare landed on Annette's face. Annette stared at the asparagus she had just cut and thought.

If Ansgar was right about her being the restoration force of the monarchy, of course Heiner would not want to give her to them. This was not an emotional issue.

Perhaps this was also why he would not allow divorce. It was easier to restrain her if they were legally bound.............

'But then why do Heiner's aides disagree with him about divorce?'

She couldn't come up with a suitable answer. She was by no means a clever person, Annette thought. In fact, there was nothing she could do about it, even after she tried to reason it out.

She stopped thinking any further. The strength drained from her hands. The fork made a clanking sound as it hit the dish. Heiner's gaze moved to her thin hands.

***

Early in the morning, Annette changed into her going-out clothes. In her bag was some money, headache medicine, and a handkerchief.

Finally, she finished her preparations by draping the black veil from her hat over her face.

"I'm going to church. I don't need an attendant."