Chapter 1 (1.9(a) Dark Slater Investigation)

The dean continued, "We can't have everyone tending to patients in the old Revivify Wing, so we'll need a team. After careful consideration, I've decided to entrust the patients' care," he glanced at the audience. Wallace nearly choked on his saliva when the dean looked his way. Nodding, the dean proceeded, "Sage Wallace J, who played a crucial role in the resuscitation in the Guardian Hall of Emergencies yesterday, will lead the team, I propose."

This announcement sparked intense whispers, catching even Wallace off guard. He couldn't fathom the rationale behind this decision. His response was marked by a furrowed brow and a perplexed expression. It wasn't about his capability to lead; there were numerous skilled healers in the room fit for the role.

The awkwardness lingered as Wallace remained unusually silent.

Sage Lachlan Rigg fixed his gaze on Wallace, awaiting a response, unfazed by the room's whispers. It seemed as though he anticipated the doubts cast on his choice of team leader. Wallace, too, turned to the dean, unsure of what to say. Rejecting the offer would signify disrespect, yet accepting meant taking on a role that others were equally qualified for.

Amidst the hum of conversations, a clear voice cut through, "Seems like Sage Wallace isn't keen on taking this role. Nevertheless, considering Sage Wallace is from the Aetherblade Department, I believe someone from the Vitalia Department would be a better fit." Sage Ector flashed a smug smile as the room's focus shifted from Wallace to him.

This comment triggered Sage Namtar, the head of the Aetherblade Department. With his thick, inscrutable accent, he responded without glancing at Sage Ector, "That statement isn't accurate. Anyone capable can assume this role, regardless of their department."

The debate between Sage Ector and Sage Namtar plunged the other healers into an uncomfortable silence. Some subtly acknowledged the statement with nods, while most simply remained silent.

The dean nodded, affirming, "That was my reasoning as well, which led me to nominate Sage Wallace as the team leader to manage this crisis."

Feeling the tension escalating around the team leader decision, Wallace understood he needed to intervene by providing a response.

Pressing on, the dean inquired, "Sage Wallace, do you lack confidence in handling this responsibility? If so, I'm open to appointing someone else for the role."

The dean's expression remained unreadable. With Wallace cornered, he had to respond now. Sage Namtar, seated beside him, shot a sidelong glance his way.

Managing a crisis of this magnitude was a precarious situation. While he undeniably possessed the capability to lead the team, failure in resolving such a crisis could prove disastrous. The Reolan incident had garnered substantial attention not solely due to its severity but also because of the recent development — the emergence of an unidentified, lethal wound infection.

Wallace comprehended the weighty expectations Sage Lachlan Rigg and Sage Namtar had placed upon him. With a resolute nod, Wallace declared, "Yes, I'm prepared to assume the role and seek a prompt solution." He felt relieved that his voice conveyed unwavering confidence.

Sage Namtar offered a supportive pat on his shoulder immediately after his response.

Exhaling a sigh of relief, Sage Lachlan Rigg expressed, "Thank you, Sage Wallace. Next, I'll nominate a co-team leader."

This time, Sage Ector confidently raised his hand. It was impossible to overlook the lone hand raised amidst the meeting. Sage Lachlan Rigg had no choice but to acknowledge him. "And Sage Ector, whom do you nominate?"

Pointing in the direction where Voss was seated with his index finger, Sage Ector asserted, "This dedicated healer returned last night in the wee hours to perform emergency procedures, saving two patients in the crisis. His contribution was invaluable. Hence, I nominate Sage Voss as the co-team leader." His emphasis on the word 'co' revealed his discontent.