Chapter 2 (2.5(d) Oceanic Woods)

After an agonisingly long hour, they finally arrived at the entrance of the Oceanic Woods. Wallace reluctantly admitted he had missed this entrance the first time they passed by on their journey from Crissaven Sanatorium. The entrance lacked any obvious signage, concealed by bushes and hedges.

Wallace and Caren took a moment to register that they had arrived at their destination when the werewolf shifted to stand up.

"Uh... Here we are," the werewolf muttered, sensing the tension in the air as he moved towards the door.

Caren turned briefly towards him before returning her gaze to the window. There were only trees and an empty curb—no sign of an entrance. Nevertheless, she disembarked from the rickshaw, with Wallace following suit.

Their clueless expressions made it evident it was their first time here.

The werewolf, displaying kindness, chose to leave them be. None of the them were eager to inquire about the Oceanic Woods. As a local, the werewolf was well-versed in the ominous tales surrounding these woods. Pickers typically comprised native creatures, centaurs, and werewolves. Humans were unfamiliar faces in this area.

"If you don't mind my asking, what brings you here?" The werewolf's tone was cautious. He refrained from prying into their business but also felt a sense of obligation not to abandon them to potential danger, having brought them here.

Wallace swallowed hard, the question striking a nerve. Juggling between disclosing the truth and seeking directions, he opted for a partial truth. "We're here to meet some pickers, and it's our first time. Could you point us towards the entrance?" His gaze scanned the bushes, searching for a path leading into the woods.

The werewolf sensed Wallace's reluctance to share details and respected his privacy. Inwardly relieved, he acknowledged that sometimes, knowing too much could be more troubling than knowing too little.

The werewolf nodded, then indicated a small dome-shaped tree not much larger than the rickshaw. Its unremarkable appearance bore a mix of green and brown leaves, devoid of any flowers or fruits.

Wallace squinted in the direction pointed out, barely twenty feet away, but he couldn't discern anything. Caren shifted uncomfortably, standing amidst nothingness, supposedly facing the entrance to a renowned woods of medicinal plants.

With a gesture, the werewolf signalled for them to follow. Wallace trailed behind him, fixating on the most ordinary-looking tree in their line of sight.

As they neared the tree, Wallace began to perceive faint noises and whispers. Caren silently advanced toward the 'entrance'. Arriving at the tree, the murmurs behind it intensified, resembling the overlapping conversations of more than ten individuals. Wallace strained to peer inside, attempting to locate the source of the cacophony, yet found nothing.

The werewolf turned to them and motioned towards his back with a thumb. "You'll need to walk through the bushes beside this tree and you'll reach a clearing."

The bushes the werewolf indicated showed no signs of being trodden upon or used as a path into the woods.

A realisation dawned on the werewolf's face as he comprehended their confusion. "Apologies, I forgot it's your first time here. These bushes were intentionally planted this way, resistant to external forces. Their forms remain unchanged, impervious even to the fiercest winds and storms. It's a safeguard against those unfamiliar with the Oceanic Woods."

Wallace, drawn by the buzzing conversations behind the tree and eager to explore beyond the 'entrance', expressed cordial gratitude to the werewolf for guiding them.

Without much delay, the werewolf bid them farewell at the entrance of the Oceanic Woods. He still had to make a trip to the marketplace to purchase meat for his dinner.