Chapter 2 (2.4(a) The Deal)

They followed the elf to the apothecary, the main building. There weren't many people at this hour of the day. A few imps were cleaning the long counter inside, making sure every corner of the apothecary was spick and span. They were led into a room just behind the counter, and Madam Monette was sitting at the table, sipping on her morning tea.

"Good morning," both Wallace and Caren greeted her simultaneously.

Madam Monette glanced at them quickly before taking the last sip of her tea. She gestured for them to take a seat across the table. It was a small room, evidently for business, with a small cabinet storing inexpensive liquor and tea, and a table with four padded chairs.

"I hope you enjoyed the food and drinks at our marketplace?" Madam Monette said, placing her mug down.

Wallace stared at her, withholding any reply. How did she know they spent their evening at the marketplace? Did she send someone to spy on them? His eyes were full of caution and vigilance, obviously unwilling to respond until Madam Monette cleared his doubts. Caren appeared similarly concerned, trying to quell the uneasy feeling in her chest.

Madam Monette let out a laugh to alleviate the tense silence. "Don't worry, I haven't sent anybody to follow you. I simply deduced it from you being on time and how refreshed you look despite having had little time to rest. You must have spent the night together at the marketplace and stayed at Angelwing overnight." Her tones were calm and casual, devoid of any hint of hesitation or an attempt to deceive.

Wallace's eyes turned emotionless as he pressed his lips together. "Madam Monette, may I inquire about the outcome of the discussion with the committee?"

Madam Monette, still immaculate in her ironed bright blue cloak, sat upright, facing them with a straight face. "I have the formulation with me now," she said, patting the pocket in her cloak.

Both Wallace and Caren kept their expressions carefully composed. It wouldn't be this easy; there was a catch, judging from the way she spoke, and they were proven right.

"This doesn't come free," she spoke slowly, carefully examining their expressions.

"Name your price," Caren replied in a cold tone, unaccustomed to beating around the bush.

"Be patient. We have more than enough money, as you thought. The only thing we ask for in return is an interview with the two surviving patients in your sanatorium. We hope to uncover what happened at Reolan City," Madam Monette finally revealed her intention.

Wallace couldn't say he was surprised, given the desperation in Madam Monette's eyes when she talked about the tragedy at Flamevalley yesterday. Even now, her eyes were so determined that she wouldn't give in if they didn't agree to this.

Caren leaned back, peering at Wallace, weighing the situation.

They remained unaware of the investigation's progress. Had the investigation uncovered something that the rest of the world wasn't supposed to know? They hadn't been informed whether the casualties disclosed what happened at Reolan City. It was only now that they realized how little they knew about the Reolan Incident.

"How do you expect to converse with two patients in critical condition? They can't even open their eyes, let alone speak," Wallace replied cautiously, hoping that Madam Monette might reconsider and propose a more tangible price, such as monetary compensation.

"I'm confident that once they take this medicine, your patients will be as healthy as a horse," Madam Monette replied, her voice oozing with confidence. "If this formulation fails to cure them, I won't have the opportunity to speak with them." She was right; the success of the formulation was crucial for her to claim her reward.