Chapter 2 (2.1(b) Angelwing Healing Centre)

Since Caren had inquired about Naevys, the atmosphere in the rickshaw lightened. They engaged in small talk, filling the gaps of silence. Wallace realized he had been overthinking before stepping into the rickshaw; he and Caren could spend time together without feeling awkward. He felt a pang of regret for hesitating earlier and making things difficult for her.

The rickshaw kicked up plumes of dust as it headed towards the Angelwing Healing Centre.

Looking out of the window, Wallace spotted a few huts lining the roadside. Mages were conducting pulse readings for their patients, and barrels outside the huts stored piles of medicinal herbs.

The sight of the mages distributing medicinal plants to their patients struck a chord with Wallace. He observed their actions with a firm and unyielding expression.

As they neared the town, Wallace noticed a group of centaurs gathered at a glade near the woods. Three centaurs in their late thirties were engaged in a heated discussion over a map, their horse-like bodies adorned with sacks. The trio seemed absorbed in their conversation, paying no heed to the passing rickshaw.

"It seems we're close to our destination," Wallace remarked, craning his neck to get a better view of the centaurs. It appeared they were planning a strategy for their venture into the woods.

Glancing in the direction Wallace was observing, Caren nodded. "I've been here quite a few times. I know this area well."

Wallace was surprised by her statement. Angelwing was a considerable distance, a hundred miles north of Crissaven Sanatorium, with nothing but the vast Sea of Mamaryth beyond it. There seemed to be no reason for Caren to have travelled this far. She had studied medicine at Summerstone and specialized in medicine doctrine after graduating. Healers in the Vitalia Department didn't typically need to visit Angelwing to study plants and herbs.

Wallace hadn't heard of Caren having an interest in becoming a chemist alongside her medical pursuits. However, when he gave her a questioning look, Caren simply shook her head, dismissing his curiosity.

Since he hadn't vocalized the question, he let it go to avoid disrupting the peace that had settled between them during their conversation. Wallace preferred not to push the matter further and risk spoiling the pleasant flow of their discussions so far.

As they approached Angelwing, the sight of various groups of native creatures engaged in plant picking activities became more frequent. Wallace observed several groups comprising solely of centaurs, while others were a mix of werewolves and centaurs. The advantages of centaurs with their horse-like lower bodies, able to traverse any terrain, were evident, especially in the challenging landscape of the Oceanic Woods.

On the other hand, werewolves boasted exceptional strength, which enabled them to handle heavy objects and scale cliffs. The lack of proper equipment among some groups indicated they were wild pickers, venturing into the woods without essential tools. Those hired by Angelwing would typically have ropes, travel sacks stocked with provisions, tents, lamps, and axes.

The wild pickers took substantial risks by entering the woods ill-equipped, but the potential for substantial profits awaited those fortunate enough to survive their perilous expeditions.

As they neared the road sign displaying 'Angelwing Town,' distant murmurs of conversation and raised voices gradually filled the air. The town derived its name from the renowned Angelwing Healing Centre, a testament to its immense influence in this region. Despite its proximity to Wallace's home, he had rarely ventured into this area.

The bustling crowds and vibrant marketplace gradually unfolded before their eyes. The rickshaws of Angelwing Town exuded opulence, adorned with rare and precious stones that shimmered in the sunlight. Wallace, having heard numerous tales about Angelwing, wasn't taken aback by the lavish display.