Chapter 1 (1.9(b) Dark Slater Investigation)

Sage Lachlan Rigg paused, contemplating for a moment before continuing, "This investigation demands careful handling. I must emphasize that a very important envoy sent by King Aflas is involved in the Reolan incident." He halted briefly, his gaze fixed on the report, seemingly lost in thought. Wallace understood the significance of not interrupting the dean during such contemplative moments.

Wallace discerned a subtle discomfort lingering at the fringes of Sage Lachlan Rigg's voice.

The five of them sat still, fixating their intense gazes on Sage Lachlan Rigg. It was evident to everyone that the Reolan Incident had garnered considerable attention. Wallace wasn't startled by the involvement of a significant figure in the investigation.

The pressing question remained: Who could it be?

In Wallace's mind, he pictured several well-known constables he was acquainted with—Sir Rens, Sir Aigo, and Sir Sixten. Each of them had their own reputation and standing within the constabulary.

After a prolonged silence, the dean released a drawn-out sigh. "The identity of this individual is best kept undisclosed to avoid unnecessary stress during your investigation. I'll handle this matter personally." Sage Lachlan Rigg's unusual indecisiveness caught Wallace off guard, prompting him to ponder over who this significant figure might be. The impact of the three renowned constables in their region seemed inadequate to cause such a reaction from the dean.

Redirecting his attention to Wallace, who was lost in thought, the dean advised, "Speculating about this individual's identity isn't necessary. Be cautious when discussing the investigation outside this sanatorium. Any leakage of information could lead to unforeseen consequences."

Wallace and the team acknowledged the dean's advice with nods when a soft knock on the door disrupted their meeting. The dean's secretary entered, her expression inscrutable, giving a nod to the dean after opening the door. Her hands held keys in one and a stack of documents in the other. The secretary's arrival seemed anticipated by the dean.

Placing five keys onto the table in front of the dean, she addressed him, "The five keys you requested."

Sage Lachlan Rigg acknowledged by drawing the keys closer to him. "Thank you, Abhishikth." Wallace had always marvelled at the dean's ability to recall her name. He had given up after a few attempts at pronouncing it without stumbling over his own tongue.

Realizing her presence was no longer required, the secretary excused herself and departed from the room.

The five keys, brought in by the secretary, were crafted from silver, immediately capturing everyone's attention.

"Now that the keys are prepared, I'll hand them over to each of you," the dean announced, distributing one key to each team member.

The weight of the key surprised Wallace, heavier than he had anticipated, its size slightly larger than his palm.

"These keys grant access to the secret meeting room adjacent to the old Revivify Wing on the seventh floor. The room will now only be accessible to the six of us. Subsequent meetings and discussions concerning the Death Slater investigation will be confined to this room on the seventh floor," the dean elucidated, displaying his key to the room.

Wallace struggled to recollect the existence of a meeting room on the seventh level. He hadn't frequented the floor often enough to be certain. However, the emphasis on secrecy and confidentiality surrounding the investigation sparked unease in his stomach.

Despite his dedication to Crissaven Sanatorium and his willingness to commit all his time to work, the uncertainties and enigmas surrounding the Reolan Incident restrained him from wholeheartedly engaging in the investigation. Even the dean, whom he had trusted, appeared to be withholding information.