Chapter 2 (2.5(c) Oceanic Woods)

The group of pickers huddled together, engrossed in discussions about the required ingredients, planning their routes and strategies for the task ahead.

Wallace gestured to Caren, silently expressing his desire to join the discussion. However, as he approached the group, he immediately sensed an unwelcoming atmosphere, noticing the frown on Yanape's face.

Yanape briefly paused but then resumed the conversation as time was pressing.

From their discussion, it became apparent that the journey to gather the ingredients involved scaling a cliff, entering a cave inhabited by packs of white wolves, traversing a field of poisonous curbs, and confronting large, venomous spiders, particularly challenging as it was their mating season according to Yanape.

Madam Monette's offered sum of money now seemed justified.

Navigating the Oceanic Woods meant constant vigilance; any lapse in attention could cost them their lives. Yanape, who appeared to be leading the team, devised various strategies to overcome potential obstacles.

Wallace found himself perplexed by some of the jargon used in their conversations. It took him a moment to grasp that 'Cloudsand,' a term they repeatedly mentioned, referred to a special powder used to cover their tracks.

As the discussion progressed, one of them suggested splitting up to expedite the ingredient collection, aiming to earn the additional one thousand honour golds by returning before midnight.

Yanape's strategies for managing the anticipated dangers sounded compelling to Wallace.

Noticing the subdued excitement in his eyes, Caren asked, "What's on your mind?" Her voice tinged with a hint of caution.

The group of pickers remained deeply engrossed in their discussion, oblivious to the whispered conversation between the two healers. Wallace promptly led Caren away to ensure they were out of earshot.

"I've been pondering... We can't be certain of Angelwing's true intentions. Yes, they might seem interested in uncovering the events in Reolan City, but considering the history between Crissaven Sanatorium and Angelwing, I doubt how long this deal can endure. Madam Monette made it clear that the ingredients listed on the paper aren't the complete formulation, but they can't be too far off from the real one. Even if we knew all the ingredients, we wouldn't be able to gather them alone. I think we should venture into the Oceanic Woods to join them," Wallace explained, studying Caren's reactions closely.

Caren didn't respond immediately. The evident dangers discussed were a clear deterrent for her to decline his proposal.

Wallace pressed on, "Our sanatorium is at a complete standstill in this predicament. Venretin can't be the solution to this infection. Angelwing is our only hope now. There's been no sign of their willingness to share the secret. Knowing the ingredients and where to find them would make us less reliant on them. We won't be too far from the solution even if this deal falls through," his tone exuding a newfound conviction.

"I understand that, but the risk of entering the Oceanic Woods, rife with unknown dangers, poisonous and lethal plants that could kill within seconds... Even though we're healers, I'm unsure if we could treat ourselves if we fall into any of these hazards," Caren expressed, her worry etched across her face.

Wallace paused, listening in on snippets of the pickers' conversations. These individuals were deemed capable of exploring the Oceanic Woods and held high regard by Angelwing, making them his best chance.

He couldn't fully trust Madam Monette, especially considering her apparent withholding of information.

"We have these guys with us. We'll just need to stick with them," Wallace pointed towards the pickers.