Chapter 2 (2.4(c) The Deal)

"No, no, it's something similar. The tangy notes suggest Redweed."

"I'm certain it's Bitter Medlar..."

Wallace tilted his head in the direction of the fervent discussion. The furrowed brows, the defeated expressions as they sniffed the containers repeatedly, and the attempts to suppress sneezes, all brought back memories of his time in Summerstone.

Meanwhile, Caren was fully engrossed in her own world, oblivious to her surroundings. Their private moments lost their hold as hunger pangs started to make themselves known. The tolling bell from the tower signalled noon.

Finishing the final page of her book, Caren noticed Wallace seated by the window, his gaze fixed outside, seemingly lost in thought. His usual calm character hinted at an occupied mind.

Highlighted by the sunlight in the background, his deep-set brown eyes, straight nose, and defined jawline seemed particularly prominent.

Her gaze lingered on him for a moment before she snapped out of her trance and set her book aside.

Noticing her movement, Wallace turned towards her. "Finished with 'Girls and Mice'?" he asked playfully, gesturing towards her book.

"That's hardly your concern," Caren replied meekly, attempting to mask her embarrassment, before striding towards the bookshelf to return the book.

Witnessing Caren's move, Wallace stood up, his stomach growling at the sudden motion. Caren re-joined him, her previous self-assurance restored. Wallace, clutching his stomach, remarked, "We should find a place to eat now."

Surveying the resting area, Wallace found the cabinet's drinks and teas hardly sufficient to sate their hunger. No signs of food were evident.

Adjacent to them sat a young chemist. He had arrived with a group of friends, but while they paid more attention to the unfamiliar faces than their textbook, the young chemist remained absorbed, quietly flipping through the thick tome on his lap.

Eventually, realising their speculations wouldn't yield much information about the newcomers, the group departed. Yet, the young chemist seemed disinterested in the unfolding gossip, not even raising his head to investigate.

Approaching the young chemist, Wallace politely inquired, "Good afternoon. Might you know of any nearby eateries?"

The young chemist reluctantly diverted his attention from the textbook, as if noticing Wallace's presence in the room for the first time. Clearing his throat, he responded, "There's a restaurant not far from here, to your right after you exit the counting-house," pointing towards the window.

His expression hinted that he didn't wish to entertain further queries. Wallace offered his thanks and left the young chemist to his studies.

As he perused the detailed description of the peculiar-looking plant's origin, Wallace found it more captivating than the presence of two healers from Crissaven Sanatorium in this environment. He smiled, a faint glimmer of amusement, before joining Caren, who awaited him at the entrance.

Relieved to find no one waiting for them at the door or within the counting-house, they inferred that, at least for now, they were not under close surveillance and retained their freedom of movement. The once-bustling counting-house was now half-empty, with only a few imps scurrying about to finalise their ledgers before departing for lunch. Though the imps eventually noticed their presence, they mirrored the disinterest shown by the young chemist earlier.

Stepping out into the bright afternoon sunlight, Wallace and Caren's eyes adjusted to the glare. The courtyard of the main building appeared relatively sparse, devoid of many merchants or any sign of Madam Monette.