Chapter 1 (1.9(c) Dark Slater Investigation)

"Yes, I've requested Sage Bogen and Sage Schell to assist with the transfer of care," confirmed the dean. He proceeded slowly in the direction of the old Revivify Wing, his steps heavy, hands clasped behind his back, posture slightly stooped. Each step seemed to burden him further with the weight of the investigation.

Upon entering the old Revivify Wing, Wallace struggled to suppress the waves of nausea that surged within him. Flashbacks from his previous experiences in the unit flooded his mind, causing his hands to tremble inside his pockets as the familiar sight of the old Revivify Wing came into view.

Upon stepping inside, a pungent mix of odours overwhelmed Wallace's senses. It was a blend of rotting flesh, blood, medicinal herbs, and an unfamiliar scent that struck him immediately. Despite never having encountered it firsthand, he was certain it was the fragrance of Venretin. It carried notes of aged oak and a tangy, sour aroma that diverged from his textbook's description in Summerstone. He had expected a more pleasant scent, perhaps a hint of fresh mint, but this was far from that.

Inside, five beds were occupied by patients, each attended by a nurse meticulously tending to their wounds. With focused precision, the nurses tended to yellowish, adhesive discharges, carefully cleaning and collecting samples in wooden containers.

These nurses appeared unperturbed by the environment of the unit. They either remained deeply absorbed in their duties or simply didn't let the setting faze them. Wallace recognized their expertise; their reputation for efficiency preceded them. Their presence didn't surprise him. The dean had indeed handpicked the sanatorium's finest to handle this critical case.

Hoshiko moved closer, observing the nurses' work intently, despite not having been introduced by the dean. His proximity felt intrusive given the circumstances, and a deep crease formed between his brows as he watched their actions. "What are you doing?" he inquired, a tone of disapproval lacing his voice.

Benito, the taller and darker of the nurses, shot a sharp glance at Hoshiko. Her displeasure was evident; his interruption wasn't welcomed as she diligently carried out her tasks. "Collecting discharges for your analysis," she responded curtly, indicating that the samples were for the healers' study.

Hoshiko took a slow, deliberate breath, his conduct signalling clear disapproval. Wallace sensed the tension escalating in the room, and he felt uneasy, not quite understanding what was causing Hoshiko's agitation.

Hoshiko shook his head with evident concern. "Collecting discharges in a wooden container is not advisable. The specimen should ideally be stored in silver or even copper containers to prevent contamination."

Bogen quickly moved to interject, positioning himself between Hoshiko and Benito, his hands raised in a conciliatory gesture. "Apologies, Sage Hoshiko. I instructed the use of the wooden container without considering contamination risks. Benito was simply following my orders."

Hoshiko regarded Bogen for a moment, then glanced back at the wound before finally stepping back and rejoining the group.

Bogen appeared to regain composure after his initial fluster when presenting his patients in the council chamber earlier.

Sensing the uneasy silence, the dean cleared his throat, aiming to refocus attention. "Since we're already here with this patient, Sage Bogen, would you mind starting with this case?"

The dean's finger gestured toward a male werewolf, Adolfo, who appeared to be the most stable patient among those presented earlier. A name board hanging at the foot of the bed displayed his name.

For Wallace, it was a matter of fundamental medical principle - proper examination was key, a lesson ingrained since his early days in medicine at Summerstone. Though the teacher who imparted this crucial lesson had slipped from his memory, its essence had stuck with him ever since.