Safe

EDITED 01/05/2023

7 - Safe

Pan gasped as she sat up in Bulla's bed. She grabbed her chest as it throbbed painfully. She leaned forward as she gasped for air.

It's just a dream, she told herself. A nightmare. It's just a nightmare. It's not real. It will never be real.

Pan squeezed her eyes shut tightly. She wrapped her arms around herself like a blanket and focused on breathing in through her mouth slowly before releasing the breath out her nose. She did this as she began to count.

After having nightmares for as long as she did, Pan had learned the best way to calm herself down from a bad attack. Pan released her arms and straightened her back at the count of a thousand. Her heart was settled, though it still felt jittery. Her stomach felt hollow. She glanced to her left; the bed was empty, which wasn't a surprise. Goten had spent the night at Brief Manor, so Pan knew her friend wouldn't be in her room.

Pan kicked the covers off her legs with a heavy sigh. She could feel the exhaustion of little sleep on her heavy eyelids. She hadn't been able to sleep well the last two nights. Not since she had gone to Capsule Corp with Trunks. Usually, she could shake her nightmares off with a bit of stretching or by doodling for an hour or two. That wouldn't work tonight, Pan knew as her stomach continued to twist.

Pan picked up her phone and frowned at the sight that it was nearing four in the morning. It looked like she would have another early day ahead of her. She exited Bulla's room quietly and huffed as she leaned against the door. She glanced down the dark hallway and her eyes rested on Trunks' door.

When they had been out in space hunting for the Black Star Dragon Balls, Pan had learned quickly that there was something about being around Trunks that calmed the anxiety the nightmares caused her. She had sought him out regularly back then. She would curl up to his side, clutching one of his arms as she fell back asleep. By the time she woke up, he was always gone.

The other night when they had fallen asleep together on the couch had been the best sleep she had gotten in years. In Trunks' arms, she felt safe from her nightmares.

Pan blinked in surprise as she stood in front of Trunks' door. She walked over without thinking.

"Panna?"

A scream died in Pan't throat as she whirled around in the darkness. Standing at the edge of the hall was a familiar silhouette. Her eyes widened as he walked into the dim light of the hall.

"Panna?" Trunks called her again. His blue eyes were furrowed together.

There was a gleam of sweat across his forehead and collarbones. Pan felt her body grow warm as she watched a sweat droplet that rolled down Trunks' neck. "I -" she blinked and avoided her eyes from his curious gaze. "Have you been working out?" She asked quickly.

"Yeah," Trunks' voice matched his confused look. "I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I went it the Gravity Room for a bit. Are you okay, Panna? Are you not feeling well?"

She could tell him the truth - that she had a horrible nightmare and now couldn't sleep. But she didn't want him to know that she still suffered from nightmares. It was embarrassing.

"I'm fine," she laughed. "I woke up to get a glass of water, and I guess I just wasn't paying attention to where I was going and got turned around. You're probably tired after working out, so I'll let you go and see you in the morning."

Pan turned around, ready to flee back into Bulla's room but before she could make a move, Trunks reached out and grabbed her wrist. She turned towards him in surprise. She could feel his gaze on her wrist where Kit had injured her.