Back To Work

CHAPTER 15*

(LILLIAN'S P.O.V.)

It's been a month since Spike was shot. He can walk now, but he's still not allowed to work yet. Today I had to re-qualify, so I headed to work earlier than I normally do. I put my uniform on, and walked into the lobby where everyone was waiting.

"Hey," I say walking over.

"You ready?" Ed asks.

"Yeah," I reply. We do testing outside first, and I run all the courses. It was a little weird with everyone stairing at me, but I got it done. Afterwards we go up to the shooting range, but while we get everything set up, Greg's phone goes off. He walks away to answer it.

"Greg's doing my psyc-eval isn't he?" I ask confused.

"As far as I know he is," Ed replies. I pick up my gun, and Ed shouts out numbers.

"3,2,4,1," he yells and I shoot, not missing any.

"Good job," Jules says as we high five.

"Lillian," Sarge says walking in the room.

"Yeah," I reply looking at him.

"Let's go," he says. We all walk upstairs,  only to be greeted by Spike.

"Spike!" Ed exclaims slapping a hand on his sholder. Sarge and I walk into the breifing room, and he closes the metal door.

"Lillian Carson," a voice says from behind Greg. I look and see the the one person who tried to break up Team Two before I transferred to Team One.

"Dr. Toth, nice to see you again," I say through gritted teeth.

"Your lieing," he says with a smile.

"Let's get this done shall we," I say. The last time didn't go so well. He straps me up to his machines,and takes a look at my file.

"I want you to say the first thing that pops into your head, no thinking," he says pulling out a note pad and pen.

"Okay," I reply.

"Rain," he says.

"Thunder," I reply.

"Black,"

"White,"

"World,"

"Travel,"

"Mother," he says, and I freeze. He writes something down, and makes a mark on the machine.

"Again, Mother," he says.

"Abandonment," I reply harshly.

"File 113," he says opening a book.

"And?" I question.

"You get a call to Fitzgeralds hospital, shots fired, one known subject, the other is unidentified," he says looking at me.

"Cole Palmer," I say, knowing he's going to ask about my brother.

"Three twenty eight p.m., subject down, situation contained," he says.

"What do you want to know?" I ask.

"Who was that second subject," he questions.

"My brother," I reply bluntly.

"Does he make you angry?" Toth asks.

"He's dead, how is he supposed to make me angry?" I ask.

"Because he killed your sister," he says.

"What are you getting at?" I ask knowing there's a meaning behind all of it.

"Has it ever occured to you that all you have left is your mother," he says bluntly. That stopped me.

"What?" I ask. He opens up a file, and I stay silent waiting for him to continue.

"How is Officer Scarlatti?" He asks.

"He's in the lobby, why don't you ask him yourself," I reply, and I see Sarge stiffle a laugh.

"He was shot, by your mother," he says, and my heart races.

"You feel guilty," he says plainly, raising an eyebrow.

"Am I? Is that what your machine is telling you?" I ask, tears pricking my eyes.

"How long has it been since the incident?" He asks.

"A month," I reply.

"And your not over it," he asks picking at memory that I had tried so hard to forget.

"My mother, who I haven't seen in years, shows up and decides to shoot one of my team mates.  You expect me to get over that in a month?" I ask anger rising in me.

"Is he just a team mate, or is there something more?" He asks, and I laugh. Suprising both, Dr. Toth and Greg.

"No, he's not just a team mate. He's family, they all are. In case you haven't noticed, all of my family is dead. So if you can magically make them reappear,  please feel free to do so," I snap.

"Why don't you take the rest of the day off," Sarge says.

"Gladly," I say standing up and taking all his grear off. The door opens, and before I step out I turn around and say,

"Oh and by the way, no I'm not over it," and storm off. I walk to the locker room, receiving stares from the others. I throw my clothes and shoes in my duffel bag, and walk through the lobby. I get in my truck and drive home. Tears slowly slide down my face. I get home, change into shorts and a t-shirt, and sit on my bed clutching a pillow to my chest.

(SPIKE'S P.O.V.)
"Oh and by the way, no I'm not over it," Lil says, and storms out of the breifing room, anger evident in her face.

"Boss, what happened?" Ed asks.

"He started questioning her about what happened to Spike," he replies gesturing toward me.

"She still thinks it's her fault doesn't she?" Jules asks.

"Yeah," he says as Lil walks out of the locker room, and down the stairs. 

"Spike, you should go talk to her. You know best what she's going through," Sarge says.

"Yeah," I reply. I say bye to the others, and head over to Lils. When I get there, I take her house key out of my pocket, and go inside.

"Lil?" I yell closing the door. Silence filled the house. I walk to her room and see her sitting there holding a pillow close to her chest. I walk over and sit next to her.

"Hey," I say, brushing a tear off her face. She looks at me and sighs.

"It's not your fault. I know it may feel like it, but it isn't.  I felt the same way about Lew, I still do, but you have to push it aside," I say draping my arm around the back of her waist.

"Sorry," she says leaning her head on my shoulder.

"It's okay, I was never mad at you," I say kissing her forehead.

"How's your mom," she asks adjusting her head so she's looking at me.
"She's good, happy even," I reply laughing a little.

"That's good," she says. We sit in her bed for hours, just talking, until she falls asleep. I put her under the covers, and the stray pillow in its place. I was about to leave her room when she reaches out and grabs my hand.

"Stay with me?" She asks sleepily.  A small laugh escapes my lips. I take off my shoes, and slide in next to her. She lays her head on my chest as I instinctively wrap my arms around her waist. She wraps her arms around my neck, her fingers messing with my hair, and soon we both drift off tangled in eachother's limbs.

(Hey guys, I'm going to need help with some new ideas for my next few chapters. I've got writers block, and don't know where to go from here. So if you have any ideas leave them in the comments, or inbox me. Thanks!!)