Chapter 5

Niall's POV

My family had just parked the car at the local arena for Zayn's graduation. Somehow, my mum and Zayn's mum became best friends in only a few days so Trisha told us to come. Zayn and I had become friends, but I don't think our friendship is going to work out so well because I still haven't told him I can't actually hear what he says to me. His lips are just easy to read and when we're together we just have fun so I don't want to tell him. He'll treat me differently and I don't want that. I want things to be the way they are now.

We made our way inside with all the other people that were here for family or friends. My mum and dad both had a hold on me so I wouldn't get lost here. I spotted Zayn's dad standing over a little bit away from us, so I gently tugged my parents towards him. I knew we had to find one of the Malik's so we could go sit with them. When we got to him, I watched as he greeted my parents and told me something that I just smiled at. He just smiled back at me, then started to lead my family where the rest of his family was.

Safaa came running over to me and made me pick her up. She was adorable, and I actually liked the fact she was kind of quiet so I didn't have to work to hard on reading her lips of asking someone what she said. I sat with her on my lap right next to a girl that had dyed blonde hair. She gave me a dimpled smile before reaching her hand out. I took it and mumbled out my name to her. She told me her name was Gemma and her brother was Zayn's best friend. That was where our conversation ended and I just stared off to space while Zayn's little sisters played a game on my phone.

To be honest, I hated being in big places with allot of people. I felt like I didn't belong at all and I felt like everyone looked at me differently even if they didn't know my problem. Really, I felt like a retard and I just wanted to crawl away so no one would be able to confirm what I feel. However, my feelings went away as the graduating class walked in. This event was about Zayn, not me. No matter how much I didn't want to be here, Trisha wanted my family here and Zayn would like it too so I stopped being selfish and put on a brave face.

Safaa jumped a little in my arms and started pointing out where Zayn was. I smiled as I saw him in cap and gown. He wasn't really paying attention to anything except for guiding his tall curly haired friend to follow him. That boy had his hand holding on to one of Zayn's fingers as they both walked to their seats. I also noticed that the short boy I saw that day was right behind the curly boy. I thought that was cute to see three best friends all graduating together.

As the ceremony went on, I just waited patently for Zayn to get his diploma. I watched the sign language translator the whole time just so I would be able to see Zayn's name being called. Once it was, I felt the vibrations of his family most likely cheering but also that Gemma girls family and another large family that was sitting behind me. I clapped a few times and smiled before sitting back in my seat to watch the other boy, Harry, get called. They said a few things about him being in the top of the class as well as having dealt with autism. The said how proud they were of the curly boy, I was too and I didn't even know him. His family was crying and cheering for him which made me feel happy about Zayn's friends being nice people.

The shorter boy, Louis, got his diploma and ran off the stage to give Zayn and Harry huge hugs. Once they all let go of each other, Zayn looked up to where all of us were but his eyes landed on me. He waved his diploma at me and I gave him a thumbs up. That made him blush before walking back to his seat. After he sat down, the ceremony seemed to go faster and soon they were all throwing their hats in the air before walking out of there.

My mum grabbed my hand after I put Safaa down and she started guiding me to follow the rest of the families. I felt a little overwhelmed with the large crowed all trying to walk out the same why, but my dad seemed to notice because he stood protectively behind me while he guided me out of the crowd of people.