Chapter 19

Zayn's POV

After the usual four hour drive to London, Niall and I walked hand in hand into the treatment center. His mum had driven in her car separately while I drove us both here. I also had a box or two of things I wanted to drop off at my new flat so those were the planned events for after this.

It was weird because Niall wasn't as scared to go as he was last week, but from what his mum told me his appointment would be, I think he should be scared. Today is his first electric shock treatment. It's probably not going to be as bad as it sounds, but I just don't want it to hurt my baby.

His mum met us in the waiting room before the doctor came out and took us to the room in the back. Niall started getting a bit scared so I ended up wrapping my arms around him as we walked down the hall. We got in the room and Niall sat on the examination table. My hand was still linked with his because I knew he wouldn't let me go as much have as I couldn't let him go.

"Alright, Niall I need you to get changed into only this. We'll all leave to give you your privacy." The doctor told Niall while he signed to him as well and giving him a hospital gown. Maura got out of her chair and waited for me, but Niall started whimpering for me to stay with him. Maura gave me a sad nod before leaving the room with the doctor. I helped Niall out of his shirt and jeans then into the hospital gown. Niall pulled off his boxers and gave them to me so I could put those in this pile of clothes. Then we both waited for the doctor to come back in.

"Can you promise me something?" Niall asked me after a minute of us just sitting in silence. I nodded to him and picked his hand up to my lips to kiss it.

"Promise me that for as long as we're together, there will be no secrets from our past or present. I don't want anything to come between us at all." Niall told me seriously. I nodded to him and kissed his lips before the door was being opened and Maura and the doctor were coming back in.

Forty minutes passed of different wires and monitors being attached to Niall. He would gave my hand little squeezes to make sure I was still with him and the occasional tear would fall because he was scared. I would try my best to wiped those, but with the doctor working and all the wires, I failed to catch a few of them.

"We're going to start now, but you're going to have to let go of Zayn for this part. I'm going to send little tiny shock waves into your head. It won't hurt, just a little sting every few minutes." The doctor told Niall slowly. Niall nodded to him and took a few deep breaths before letting my hand slide out of his. I tried to take a few steps back from the table, but the doctor told me to go sit next to Maura just to be safe.

The first shock must have gone into Niall's head because he whimpered as he laid there on the table. Maura's hand slipped into mine and gave it a squeeze. I looked at her and saw her looking like she needed reassurance that Niall would be okay. I moved closer to her on the little bench we were sharing and wrapped my arm around her thin frame and gapped her hands in my free hand.

The treatment went on for twenty more minutes until the doctor sighed after looking at one of the monitor screens. He pressed a few switches that must have turned off the wires and stuff because Niall's body visibly relaxed. The doctor took off the wires and told Niall to relax while he turned to me and Maura.

"So, he didn't respond to this like I hoped he would. I'm going to schedule the nerve replacement surgery for whenever it's good for you, but it needs to be done. After that, his hearing will be able to be fixed and everything will be fine." The doctor informed us. Niall's mum nodded and started calling Bobby on the phone to tell him and to know when a good date would be for the surgery.

I got up and went over to where Niall had his eyes closed as he laid on the table. My hands ran through his hair. His eyes opened to look at me as he gave me a small smile. I leaned down and kissed him gently then let my thumb swipe over his cheek. He giggled at me and reached to get my hand in his. We both stayed in our own world with each other for a while then it was time to go. I helped Niall get dressed while the doctor confirmed Niall was going to have his surgery in two weeks which made him promise I would stay with him.