Chapter 22

Zayn's POV

My world seems to stop turning. I forgot how to even breathe or think of anything but the words that just came out of the doctors mouth. I loud scream and sob broke me out of my own world of thinking this wasn't true. I looked over at Maura and saw her screaming at the doctor as she cried while Bobby tried to hold her back. I just walked away from them in my dazed mind set, but I couldn't even do that for long before I collapsed to my knees.

Louis came over to me and pulled me into his chest as I finally let realization hit me. The first tear fell and it was like it was just the beginning of a dam breaking open. I held onto my best friend as tight as I could and let out a scream in frustration.

"He's gone!" I chocked out. I heard Louis take a sharp breath in before he was holding me that much tighter. He helped me stand up and took me to a chair, but I just wanted Niall. I wanted to touch his soft skin and hear his sweet giggles. I got to my feet and ran past the doctor to the doors that led to the operating rooms. No matter how hard I hit those metal doors with my fists or how many times I pulled on the door handles, they wouldn't open. A pair of strong arms pulled me back and drug me away from the door, but that didn't stop me from trying to kick the person off of me so I could get to Niall.

"Zayn, stop it!" Liam's voice rang through my ears. I turned in his arms and begin throwing weak punches at his strong chest because I was in so much pain right now. He just took it, but when I looked up to his face I saw fat tears rolling down his cheeks and a look of pain on his face. I stopped my punches and pushed his hands off me. He walked away from me and let his head fall into his hands. My feet took me over to my parents where they just held me tightly. They kissed my cheeks and sandwiched me between them as they held me though this.

"I just want to see him one more time." I cried to my parents. They looked over my shoulder and gave someone a small nod before looking back at me. They wiped my tears that kept coming no matter how hard they tried to catch them. My parents then walked me over to where Bobby and Maura were crying in each others arms. They both looked at me and pulled me to their arms.

"We can see him in a few minutes." Bobby told me sadly as more tears fell from his blue eyes that reminded me too much of Niall's. The doctor came back out ten minutes later and took Maura, Bobby, Greg, Liam and I to the back. We walked through different hallways until we were all standing in front of a door. Niall's parents and brother went in first, leaving Liam and I in the hall. Neither of us had stopped crying.

"I don't want to see him like this. I want to see him as Niall again." Liam cried to me. I nodded, then took a step closer to him and got his hand in mine. He looked at me and gave me a small nod like we would be okay. I shook my head because knew I would never be okay. Without Niall in my life, I'll never be the same. He came into my life and made it so much better. Nothing has ever made me this happy and nothing ever will again. We both stood there for a few more months until Niall's family came back out. The doctor was with them and started explaining to all of us what exactly went wrong.

"We replaced one side of his nerves and got those working, but the other side was deeper into his brain than normal. We tired to work around it, but we knew we couldn't do it so we started to stop surgery. His blood pressure became lower as we worked to get our tools out and worked to get him back to normal, but his brain tissue started hemorrhaging as a way to heal itself and there was nothing we could do. Both sides operated on did that, leading him to this. We're sorry, but we didn't give up until we knew he wasn't going to come out of cardiac arrest." The doctor told us. All of us nodded, but it still didn't take away the anger I had towards this stupid doctor. Bobby pat my back the told me to go in and see him.

The second I walked into the room and saw Niall laying on the bed they had him in, I broke down into sobs. I made my way over to him and took his cold hand in my warm one. To me, he wasn't gone. He was right here and I was holding his hand. I leaned down and kissed his cold lips, then looked over the staples and stitches on each side of his head. I kissed his forehead and let my hands run through his blonde hair.