Love 'N' Stuff [Original Slash] {09}

Matt

‘What?’ I managed to choke out in a strangled voice even as I tried to appear calm and collected.

                ‘I don’t know,’ Freddie went on, resuming playing with my hair, apparently not noticing that my heart had literally stopped beating and I was now dead. ‘I mean I know there’s not actually anything there between Jack and I,’ he was treating more like a best friend than a potential boyfriend, I noted unhappily, discussing his complicated love life with me, ‘but it was kind of bad form to go from waking up in his bed to kissing you ten seconds later.’ He paused. ‘Not really fair on you either,’ he added quietly, and I felt his hand under my chin as he pulled me up to face him. ‘I’m sorry.’

                ‘It’s okay,’ I managed, and it wasn’t a lie. It really wasn’t that big of a deal to me that Freddie – who I’m used to whoring himself about a bit – had only realised he liked me after getting off with Jack. At any point in time ever, it was likely he would have just gotten off with someone before realising he liked me. What was upsetting me, of course, was that it wasn’t actually clear whether he did like me.

                ‘Maybe I should go talk to Jack,’ he mused , staring up at the ceiling. ‘What do you think?’

                I tried to reign in my own emotions to help him with his own moral crisis. ‘If I were you I probably would,’ I started. ‘But knowing Jack… I mean, no offense or anything, I think you’re amazing, but he’s not really into emotional attachment is he?’

                ‘Hmm,’ Freddie murmured in agreement before turning his bright blue gaze on me suddenly, his eyes sparkling. ‘You think I’m amazing.’

                I groaned and shoved him. ‘Leave it out,’ I muttered, averting my gaze, but he dragged my face back to his and kissed me lingeringly on the lips.

                ‘Okay,’ he said, gently pushing me away and sitting up. ‘I’m gonna go do the noble thing. Wish me luck.’

Freddie

Matt gave me a thumbs up and I walked across his room towards the door, closing it behind me and looking up just in time to see Jack walk out of Benny’s room, and inscrutable look on his face.

                ‘Jack-’ I started, taking a step towards him, but he shouldered his way past me and disappeared into his own room, slamming the door behind him. Shit.

                Making an executive decision, I followed him and knocked on his door lightly, half hoping he wouldn’t hear me, or would just tell me to bugger off. Instead, the door swung open and he stood there, somehow looming over me even though I’m a half inch taller, glaring at me. ‘What?’

                ‘Um.’ I loved how I was suddenly the bad guy, considering what he’d done to me that morning. ‘Can I come in?’

                Jack glowered at me for a second but then stepped back, walking into the room ahead of me as I followed him timidly.

                ‘You’ve been talking to Benny, I guess,’ I chanced weakly, wishing I could be anywhere else but here. Why on earth was he taking it so personally? Matt had been exactly right when he’d said Jack hadn’t gotten emotionally attached to me. For god’s sake, it was just sex.