Love 'N' Stuff [Original Slash] {13}

Matt

When we got back to the apartment later it was almost dark outside and we could hear people in the neighbouring apartments getting ready to party and go out. It was hard to believe it was just another regular college night for everyone else when we were all feeling so lethargic and depressed. Then again…

                ‘I need a drink,’ Jack muttered darkly, trudging to the fridge and peering inside, then shutting it resolutely when he found it empty of alcohol. He picked up his jacket from where he’d just dropped it on the kitchen table and started putting it back on.

                ‘You’re going out?’ Benny squeaked incredulously.

                There was a beat of silence where it seemed likely that Jack was going to utter one of his patented sarcastic remarks that could cut to the bone, but then he just said, ‘Yeah,’ and grabbed his keys.

                ‘I’ll come with you,’ Benny said quickly, picking up his jacket as well.

                ‘No.’ Simple as that.

                But Benny is made of sterner stuff than people seem to realise and he just rolled his eyes and followed Jack out of the apartment, shutting the door behind them.

                I turned uncertainly to look at Freddie; this was the first time we’d been alone together since the revelation about Aaron Samuels had been broadcast for the whole of Britain and Ireland to witness.

                He dropped into one of the couches tiredly and went to grab the TV remote, but thought the better of it – nothing good had come of watching television recently – and instead reached a hand towards me, flexing his fingers in that way kids do when they’re trying to say “I want”.

                Smiling, I walked over to him.

Jack

I trudged silently towards the centre of town, all but ignoring Benny in my search to the dingiest, most run-down pub I could find. Eventually I noticed a decrepit building with only one working outdoor light and flaking brown paint, called Teach Jack*, which seemed appropriate. Without deferring to my pint-sized stalker I walked inside and dropped into a stool at the bar, raising my hand to get the bartender’s attention.

                ‘What’ll it be?’

                ‘Double whiskey, straight,’ I told him, as Benny struggled up onto the stool beside mine.

                ‘Anything for you?’ he asked Benny, not even bothering to ask for ID even though Benny was clearly eight years old.

                ‘Diet Coke. I’m driving.’

                I snorted as the drink was placed in front of me and took a chug, ignoring the fact that the glass was smeared. ‘Thought I told you to stay at home,’ I muttered, feeling the alcohol burn my throat.

                ‘I’m trying this new thing where I do the opposite of what I’m told. University man, it’s liberating.’

                ‘Right.’

                ‘So what did that Morrissey guy say to you? Does he think you’ll be able to prove Aaron is lying?’

                I shrugged one shoulder, staring into my drink as Benny slurped his through a straw. ‘He doesn’t think I need a lawyer, at least.’