Love 'N' Stuff [Original Slash] {03}

Freddie

'Where are you going?' I demanded as Jack stood up in the middle of The Jeremy Kyle Show and shrugged on his leather jacket. We'd been sitting in a sort of aggressive silence for the past twenty minutes, both mentally daring the other to snap and leave.

 'Off licence,' Jack grunted, grabbing his keys from the table. I stood up, turning off the TV and trailed after him, knowing it would annoy him.

 'I'll come too,' I said cheerfully, grabbing my own jacket from the end of the couch and putting it on as I followed him out the door. Jack scowled at me but said nothing, and we walked in electric silence as I considered striking up some random conversation just to piss him off more.

 'How's Law?' I asked, grinning like we were good friends. Bringing up college was a sure-fire way to get his hackles raised; Med was currently inching ahead in the "we're-the-smarter-course" competition.

 Jack grunted, staring straight ahead.

 'That's nice,' I went on, feeling smug. 'Medicine is good too. I'd tell you all about it, but you wouldn't be likely to understand.'

 Jack glanced at me, and I knew I'd gotten him; he was about to spit out some retort. 'Can you define Tort?' he asked mildly.

 I stayed silent; I could not.

 'How about scienter? No? Sic utera tuo ut alienam non laedas? Hm. I'd tell you all about it, but you wouldn't be likely to understand.'

  'Necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum,' I said sulkily, naming the most complicated-sounding term I'd learned so far. All it meant was a scar on the shin, but he couldn't know that.

'Breaking out the Latin just because I did? Sad.'

I didn't know whether it was Latin or not, so I couldn't say anything as we reached the off-licence and walked inside, pulling out our student cards without even needing to be asked. There was no way we weren't getting ID'd; we both looked under 21.

Jack bought three naggings of vodka and I stared at him. 'You'll end up in hospital,' I told him sceptically.

'One is for Benny,' he muttered, shoving them into a plastic bag as I turned to the shop assistant to order. Loathe as I was to admit it, it was a good idea and I grudgingly bought one for Matt as well.

'I thought Matt was eighteen,' Jack muttered as we began walking home.

'He is,' I said, surprised.

'Then why'd you bother? Benny's only seventeen.'

'Doesn't that count as statutory rape then?' I asked, quick as a flash. 'Mr Lawyer?'

'Nope. Has to be under seventeen.' Jack was smirking.

'Well doesn't that just make you an upstanding citizen,' I said sarcastically as Jack unlocked the door and let us back into the apartment. Benny looked like he was about twelve. 'Isn't buying alcohol for minors illegal though?'

'You gonna report me?' he asked, shrugging off his coat and raising an eyebrow at me questioningly.

'No,' I admitted grudgingly, scowling to myself.

'Then don't you worry your pretty little head about it,' he said patronizingly, and walked into the sitting room with his plastic bag, placing the three glass bottles in the freezer. I followed suit.

Jeremy Kyle was just finishing up when I switched the TV back on, and I glanced at my phone to check the time. Five pm.

'So...' I started, glancing at Jack where he was sitting on the other couch.