Love 'n' Stuff [Original Slash] {14}

Benny

When we got back to the apartment, I put Jack straight to bed and then went to the kitchen to get him a glass of water to put on his desk for the morning and something to eat for myself. When I opened the door however, all thoughts of Jack flew out of my head, because Matt was standing in the kitchen in his boxers, adding a flavour packet to a cup of Koka noodles and waiting for the kettle to boil.

                He turned around to look at me when he heard the door opening and smiled. ‘Hey Benny,’ he said happily, returning to his culinary project. ‘Jack okay?’

                I swallowed, trying to remember how to formulate words. I’d imagined Matt’s body plenty of times, sure, but I’d never actually seen it. It was pretty much exactly how I’d imagined it though; lean and toned, maybe a little too skinny, with a fine dusting of freckles across his chest.

                ‘You have a birthmark on your hip,’ was what I finally managed to spit out, mortifying myself in the process.

                Matt pulled a face and looked down at the slightly star-shaped mark on his hip. ‘I know; hideous isn’t it? I’ve tried a few things to get rid of it but short of laser therapy I think it’s here to stay.’

                ‘It’s beautiful,’ I whispered, staring at it.

                ‘Huh?’ The kettle had graciously decided to reach its peak boiling noise level as I said it and he hadn’t heard me.

                ‘Nothing. Uh, Jack’s okay,’ I lied. ‘Hopefully this all gets sorted out quickly. Aaron will know by tomorrow that he’s getting served right?’

                Matt shrugged. ‘He should know already I think, we were to the Garda Station pretty early. Jack will probably get a call tomorrow about whether the hospital corroborates his story and things should get moving pretty quickly from there.’ Matt stopped talking and turned to look at me carefully. ‘Benny are you alright? You look awfully pale.’

                I cleared my throat and moved further into the kitchen, trying to busy myself with organising some food even though I didn’t have a clue what the hell I was doing. There was a weird smell. ‘I’m fine. Just a bit worried about Jack is all.’

                ‘It’ll all work out,’ Matt told me reassuringly.

                We looked up as the door opened again and Freddie walked in, also in his boxers. ‘What’s taking you so long- Oh! Hey Benny. When did you get back?’

                I looked away as he wrapped his arms around Matt from behind, resting his chin on his shoulder while Matt stirred his noodles.

                ‘Just a few minutes ago,’ I mumbled. I recognised that smell now. ‘I think I’m gonna go to bed actually,’ I stammered, despite the fact that I had just managed to fill a saucepan with water and pull a bag of pasta shapes out of my food cupboard. Leaving everything on the counter, I stumbled towards the door, trying to hold myself together at least until I got to my room. ‘Night.’

                ‘Night!’ they called after me simultaneously.

Matt

‘Did Benny seem okay to you?’ I asked Freddie as soon as I was sure he as out of earshot.

                ‘Hm? Yeah. I mean he was probably a little awkward since we smell like sex but I’m sure he’ll get over it.’