Love 'N' Stuff [Original slash] {12}

Jack

Of course the riot, if you could even call it that, got cleared up pretty quickly. The building’s security guard, Jerry, called the Gardaí as soon as our front window got smashed in, and half an hour later all was calm again and Jerry was helping us to tape over the window until he could call for a replacement the next day.

                My mood had turned from desperate to angry though, because against all odds a news crew had turned up to film the last dying minutes of the crowd’s taunting, asking people for comments and trying to get Jerry to ask me to come outside. They were gone by the time we all silently started taping black plastic to the window, but I was pissed.

Freddie

To say that Jack was in a black mood the next morning was to put it lightly. He was awake before anybody else and when I walked into the kitchen the next morning, hankering for some Corn Flakes, he was sitting gloomily on the couch, flicking from channel to channel on TV, searching, I was soon to discover, for the news coverage of the previous night’s incident.

                He soon found it. Paused on TV3, which was delivering it’s morning report, he sat forward suddenly when a peaceful shot of our building – obviously taken after the riot, as black plastic was billowing in the wind where our window should have been – with a reporter standing in front addressing the camera in a serious tone.

                ‘I am here at the scene of what earlier was violent riot. An apparent flash mob materialized in front of this college accommodation building on the University College Cork campus, it’s collective rage seemingly directed at one Jack Fox. It was revealed yesterday that he is the abusive ex-boyfriend of Aaron Samuels, a contestant in this year’s X Factor, and the new nation’s sweetheart. It is unclear how Mr Fox’s address was discovered by the protesters, but I am told that this building is known to be traditional housing for the college’s LGBT community, and it is possible that this led to the discovery.’

                ‘Turn it off Jack,’ I said quietly, sitting down beside him. The screen was now showing footage of the “violent riot”, which wasn’t nearly as exciting as the reporter had made it seem; once the window was broken there wasn’t much more the crowd could do apart from shout. One idiot had tried to scale the wall Spiderman-style, and fallen back to the ground quickly, but that had been before the camera crew showed up. There was a shot of the four of us peering concernedly down at the crowd though, so it was nice to get my fifteen seconds of fame.

                Jack did as I said, and the silence in the room after the shouting scenes from the screen seemed deafening.

                ‘What am I going to do, Freddie?’ Jack asked in a low voice, clutching at his hair and resting his elbows on his knees.

                ‘You’re going to have some breakfast,’ I told him definitively. ‘And then you’re going to go to the Garda Station. And you’re going to make a statement about what happened last night. And then you’re going to file a report against Aaron for beating the living crap out of you, and another for slandering you.’

                Jack sighed. ‘What’s the point? There’s no coming back from this Freddie.’

                ‘Of course there is. Once the Gardaí contact the hospital you went to and confirm your story, everything will be out in the open and you’ll have cleared your name. Don’t get down in the dumps about this now Jack, you’re the single strongest person I know. If anybody can survive this it’s you.’