Love 'N' Stuff [Original Slash] {18}

Benny

Jack was in a black mood when we got home from college and emotionally blackmailed me into going out with him that night. Then of course I emotionally blackmailed Matt into coming with us, and he somehow convinced Freddie it would be a good idea too. Jack’s mood seemed to worsen further on the news that we would have company but he didn’t say anything, just scowled and took a deep gulp from his drink. It was supposed to be vodka and Coke but it was so concentrated it just looked like murky water in the glass.

                I wasn’t looking forward to going out. I figured it was going to be a tired old reply of every other night we went out, with Jack and Freddie angrily facing off before angrily making out, and Matt and I traipsing home early.

                Although, of course, coming home early with Matt was going to be a lot less depressing from now on.

                The night followed the usual line up of events until we actually left the apartment; everybody got slightly drunk and we played a crap drinking game, then left the flat and descended the stairs perilously.

                Then Jack decided he didn’t want to get a taxi, and Matt and I protested, and Freddie said of course we were going to get a taxi, which caused Jack’s eyes to spark angrily and insist he was walking, so we all followed him. As we walked along the river towards the centre of town I had to grudgingly admit that walking had been a good idea; it was a balmy night and really nice and the sound of the water lapping against the river bank was lovely.

                It was the only lovely sound though, as the first words of the night were spoken by a voice that chilled me right to my bones.

                ‘Hey there, Benny-Boy. We were just coming to see you.’

Matt

We all looked in surprise at the group of three guys that had just come around the corner, grinning in a kind of twisted way at Benny. I felt his hand clench painfully in mine and knew that this, of course, had to be Austin.

                My stomach twisted in anger.

                ‘Who the fuck are you?’ Jack demanded threateningly. He knew they knew Benny but it was clear they weren’t exactly friends. He probably knew this was Austin as well, even if he hadn’t seen the fear on Benny’s face.

                ‘Old friend of Benny-Boy’s,’ Austin said, hilariously, and leered. ‘Saw him on TV and thought we’d come for a visit.’

                ‘Is there something you wanted, specifically?’ Freddie asked, crossing his arms and giving off that impression of overwhelming self-confidence that he and Jack shared. They were inching slightly forwards now, in front of Benny and I, which I guess I could understand. It was Benny they were after.

                ‘Oh, just to finish something I started last year,’ Austin said with a wicked look at Benny. He probably figured Benny hadn’t told us about the scalpel incident, and it was a sort of terrifying private joke between the two of them, but it was the reference to this incident that set Jack’s temper on fire and with lightning fast reflexes he had punched Austin in the stomach. The bigger guy doubled over, clutching his tummy and gasping for air, while the other two boneheads advanced angrily on Jack and Freddie.

                ‘Forget them,’ Austin wheezed, as one of them grabbed Jack. ‘Get that little shit!’ The other came for Benny and I quickly stepped in front of him, but before I could do anything Freddie had grabbed Benny by the other hand and was wrenching him backwards, getting him away from Austin and his friends, protecting him. I went to follow them but Freddie glanced over his shoulder and I followed suit instinctively; Austin and one of the other guys were now both ganging up on Jack, who was putting up a fair fight but still bound to get his ass kicked.