Session 7: Drunk on Love by Natalie Marie

Session 7

Drunk on Love by Natalie Marie natmarie

Something old: Her ex-boyfriend, Casey. Something new: His gorgeous wife, Julia. Something borrowed: A slinky, black dress. Something blue: A pair of eyes staring at her like she's crazy.

Somehow Becca Felix tricked herself into thinking that going to Casey's wedding was a good idea. It wasn't. In fact, it was beyond terrible. Not only did she make a fool of herself, but she woke up with a killer hang-over and in bed with his best friend. Cue the awkwardness and watch the sparks fly. This is a story about letting go, hanging on, realizing who you are and why fate should always come with a pair of blue eyes. Selected by wattpad HQ and Athenos as one of their favorite stories about Coming of Age + Self Discovery.

***
Discussion Questions

1) Through the years and multiple readers, and my own rereads, I've learned I love certain characters and love to hate others. And I'll admit, I'm a little biased. It always fascinates me to hear readers' perspectives on this matter. Who is your favorite character? Who is your least favorite? Why? *The term "favorite" is subjective so run with it and define it how you would like.

2) As an author, I feel that it is sometimes difficult to show the passage of time within a piece (short of time stamping it or over using introductory clauses as transitions). Has it been a day? A few hours? A month? Same goes for the pacing of the piece. As you read, were there any events or scenes that left you uncertain about the passage of time? Were any rushed or too drawn out?

3) I find that it is a fine line authors walk between believability and relatability. It is ideal to have both elements, as they usually go hand in hand. Are there any aspects of the story you feel are not believable? Why?

4) In this story (and let's be honest, in life) the characters reflect on their past periodically and their past influences their present actions and relationships. I am always torn about how much and to what extent to include backstories. What additional information do you feel would be helpful to know about the characters, setting, or relationships in the first five chapters?

5) Please provide any editorial feedback you might have, i.e. How can I make it better?

***

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR NEW CBC MEMBERS: If you would like your work scheduled in the book club, you must participate in at least 3-5 sessions! We've had a lot of interest and people asking to be part of the club, and this is the most basic and most important part of an active member of the CBC.

We have the next three sessions scheduled, but after that we'll be filling slots with people who 1) chime in on the required 3-5 sessions (3 consecutive and 2 prior to your own scheduled session - feel free to choose from any of the 6 sessions we've completed and/or our upcoming sessions) and 2)  PM US to let us know which chicklit novel of 10+ chapters you'd like to include in the schedule. We will track your participation and schedule members who have completed the requirements.

FMs and OMs who have already had a session but may like to submit another novel for consideration may do so now!

Slots are available - you just need to participate. :) We're looking forward to hearing from you!

Ara and Lucy x

(now, on to Nat's discussion :D)