Session 9: Falling by Fern Blythe

Session 9

Falling by FernBlythe

You can fall down, you can fall in love, you can fall apart. Maddie Hopkins is falling, but she doesn't know which kind of falling it is, maybe all three.

"Plenty of people have asked if there's anything romantic between me and Connor because of how close we are and how we know each other so well, but there's not. A long time ago, back when we first met, I had a major crush on him for a while, but after we spent more time together and got to be better friends, I realized I didn't really think of him that way anymore."

Until . . . 

"He turned and held his arms out to give me a goodbye hug. I leaned into him, wrapping my arms around his waist. I rested my head affectionately on his chest for a moment and he put his chin on the top of my head and rubbed his hands on my back. He paused as we pulled apart and looked into my eyes. One hand reached out to take my chin and tilt it up towards his face.My heart started pounding as I looked up at him and felt his thumb against my jaw. He had an intense look on his face that I wasn't sure I had seen before. It crossed my mind that he looked for all the world like he was going to kiss me. And I couldn't help but think that I desperately wanted him to."

***

Discussion Questions

1) How do you feel about the dialog? Do Connor and Maddie sound like real people? Is the dialog easy to read?

2) Was the story easy to read and understand? Did anything confuse you? If so, what?

3) The way the first five chapters are currently cut, it's all Connor and Maddie. Does this feel like too much of a straight romance, or does it still feel like Chick Lit to you?

4) Did the story capture your attention? Does it make you want to read more? Why or why not? :)

Mandatory question:

5) Please provide any editorial feedback you might have, i.e. How can I make it better?

***

A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM YOUR DARLING ALMIGHTIES:

Sessions 11 and 12 (September 14 and 21) are open for those who fulfill the participation requirements. Some of you are only one session away!

We have a few new members who have been participating - these sessions are yours once you've completed 3+ reviews (these must also include Inkweave and FernBlythe's sessions). We will assign sessions in order of people who complete their requirements first.

This includes our new members wanting to submit Mature stories. 

Speaking of which, we have decided that these will be included in our regular schedule, with an optional participation requirement for those who prefer not to read mature content. A third  CBC 'book' will be published soon, in which Mature sessions will be feature, and to ensure the content of our main Review Book (this one) remains appropriate for all of our readers.

Lastly, thank you all for your continued participation! 

As we've said before, if you've been lurking in the shadows OR if you have already been featured but would like to submit another novel for consideration, we have room for that in the schedule. :)

We're also really keen to meet your friends. If you know someone who's written a story that you think our CBC members would love, then please send them our way!

Cheers,

Ara and Lucy x