5 Dimensions of Personality

One of the most difficult things to execute well in a piece of fiction is a realistic character. We've all read stories in which the characters were dull or hollow; they come across like clones of the same characters we've met in dozens of stories before.

Readers want characters who are as unique and complex as real people.

Are we, as writers, obligated to deliver such characters?

Not necessarily. Plenty of stories are plot-driven or centered around theme rather that character. But the stories that resonate the most have vivid, layered characters. Readers and writers often sing the praises of character-driven fiction. So the single best way to intrigue readers is to give them characters they can't forget.

~ ' ~

Is there anything about your character that you don't know? I don't mean insignificant things like favorite food or what's on his bedroom floor, which—I know—might be one and the same. There is an (occasionally helpful) trace of personality there, but no real substance.

Those things aren't him.

Imagine your character walking down the street. A normal street, a normal day. Does he swagger or cavort or stroll or stride? (Tell me in the comments!)

It's the difference between going through someone's stuff and meeting them. One is simply more effective, especially when you know what you're looking for. Your character's walk is a clue to his personality, his presence. But it's just one small piece, no matter how real.

The fullness of personality still awaits.

You want to know your character like he's standing in front of you pouring his heart out, discussing his next move, or giving you a piece of his mind.Yes. That. Please.

Unfortunately, for most writers it's easier said than done.

...Even me. There was a time that I would work with a character's fear and desire and inner conflict, and I would end up feeling like I was looking at a cartoon made of words. I had the head and the heart, but not the spirit.

5 Dimensions of Personality:

Presence is how your character comes across to other characters, how he presents himself, holds himself, comports himself. It is the attitude he carries and the energy he exudes. Think stage presence turned page presence. Does your character have his own mien?

Motivation is everything that moves him. It's the "why" behind actions, reactions, and emotions. What prompts your character to act? To react?

Method is the pattern of of choices made in acting on a motivation. It indirectly reveals how he thinks, and can be a clear path to understanding the deeper workings of the mind. What approach does your character take?

Interaction is how he handles different relationships, how he communicates, what he needs, what he gives, and how close he gets. How does your character relate to others?

Underpinning is how the character's mind works at the deepest levels.It is the seat of personality. As such, it houses mental systems that, whether determined by nature or nurture, are the unconscious core of who he is. Who is your character if you strip away agenda and persona? What is his basic personality?