ASK AUNTIE MJ: AM I READING WRITING BOOKS TO KEEP MYSELF FROM WRITING?

Dear Niminonono,

Your question is a branch on the tree of this question: is reading a form of procrastination that prevents you from writing? You can't write without reading. You have to do it. But you have correctly pointed out that at a certain point you need to stop reading and write.

This is why people go into RESEARCH SPIRALS where they research so much that they never actually write the thing they need to write. The questions beat in the mind constantly—am I done? Am I ready? Do I know enough?

But you are asking specifically about reading books about writing. And I have an answer for you.

Yes.

Yes, reading books about writing can be a form of procrastination that prevents you from writing.

Now let me break it down.

1. You don't need to read any books on writing to learn how to write—because all books are books about how to write.

I just blew your mind. I know. Deep. Also true. All books with words in them teach us about writing. We learn by taking in the various components of what's on the page (or screen). From the big things (story, overall structure, book length) to the page level (paragraph length, sentence length and structure) to the word choice level. We note repetition and themes. We take in the author's style. We decide whether or not we like it, and (often separately) whether or not it is effective. We often do these things without realizing it. 

Writing instruction is largely an exercise in getting you to notice and consciously choose to do things you are likely already doing.

This is pretty key. Once you know to look for these things, you tend to look for them more and keep a clearer mental register. You can also drive yourself insane looking for them and wind up spending twenty years analyzing a single paragraph.

At a certain point, you need to let go and write. So sure, books on writing are fine. But in the end, they are sort of like everything else we read. They can have good tips, for sure. But let's move on to point two...

2. If you are going to read books on writing, read more than one, but maybe not more than ten.

This is just a personal tip from me. I don't know how many you have read. I'm guessing that if you are writing this question that's it's probably a few. I think ten is about the limit. Here's why.

Everyone has a different way of writing and a different style of explaining how they write, if they explain at all. So if you only read one book on writing, you may get the idea that you've done it—you've read A Book by someone who published A Book.

Anyone can publish a book. I've published a bunch of books and the other day I drank salad dressing instead of water. What does that tell you? Some books on writing will be good, and some will be very generic, and some will be okay, and some will be dumb. They vary, as all books do. So if you start down the path, read a couple. Try to mix it up a bit.

Some books are all about structure—story arc, character archetypes, conflict, resolution, etc. These are good things to know about. If you're going down the writing book route, read a few books like this.

Some books are more about the muse and the feeling and the magical journey and the birds singing in your ear. They might have a lot of very fluid exercises in them, like making lists of things you see, or writing a hundred words about a piece of grass—that sort of thing. These books have their place. I have a few of these I like.

And then there are the books by the people who write for a living who will basically just tell you to write. Just write. Start now and work hard and write every day. That's good advice. That's how it actually happens. You will learn to write through writing, and you will likely be terrible when you start and get better—like everything else.

I made a video about this very subject for my friend John Green when he was out having a child. because it says pretty much everything I have to say in the subject. I also say it in a very unfortunate way that has an unintended double meaning, so enjoy. But the gist of the video is this...

3. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BE BAD AT THIS

That's what's holding you back now. You're afraid you don't know enough. No one knows enough when they start. No one ever knows enough, really. You just have to start. Write terribly. Go on. Do it. Then keep writing and improve. That is how it goes. No one would expect you to pick up a violin and instantly know how to play because you're heard some other people playing the violin. You will get better with practice. You don't have to show your work to anyone until you feel ready, and it may take years to feel ready. Good. Fine. That's normal. No one knows what they are doing when they start. They just have to start with GUSTO.

GUSTO.

The fact that you are asking this question at all means something in you is saying, "I should just do this thing." I think you should listen to that voice and do this thing. You can always read the books in the time you aren't writing. This isn't the kind of thing where you have to read ALL THE BOOKS before you start. Just start writing.

And do not drink salad dressing.

Love,

Auntie MJ