Keeping a Long distance relationship

Yes it is hard, no it is not impossible. Yes we are serious, no we are not cheating on each other.

Yes it's both simple and complicated at the same time. There are more reason to just give up, to cheat, to just find another closer to you, or to fall out of love. Everything is harder and needs more effort specially when your partner is in different time zone, or in my case literally half way around the world.

Pros:

- One thing good about this kind of relationship is you have more time for your self. More time with family and friends, more time to pursue your passion, career or interests.

- You will know each other more, since you can't hug or kiss talking will be your way of expressing your love, your care, your affection everything.

- Long distance relationships will separate the ones who just want to play and mingle to those who are really serious, it's easy to love but waiting and staying in love is hard.

Cons:

- Since you are not together, it's hard when you are arguing and one of you has to go to work or do something, it's hard to be left there hanging.

- You can't touch, smell or feel each other. No kiss, no hug, no holding hands, no actual date. No all of those physical things all you can do is to blow a kiss to your computer or cellphone screen.

- When your partner is ill, you can't take care of him/her. When your partner is crying out of maybe sharing a problem to you or missing you, and you can't even console her/him.

Tips:

- Communicate, communicate and communicate. Seriously there's no relationship long distance or not will last without an open communication. If you have an issue talk about it with your partner and not with other friends or people, only you two can figure it out in the end.

- Stay loyal and honest to each other. Even to the simplest things, don't get used to lying.

- Give time. Even sometimes it's really hard given that you are in different time zones. Set a time in a day that you can talk, don't need to be a 4 hour video call a day, but just right to catch up on things.

- Don't be too possessive or obsessed with your partner, give them time to go out with friends and family, don't make them talk to you all day. And by them experiencing other things you also let them grow as an individual, and also so they can share something to you the next time you talk.

- Have plans for the future. You can't be apart forever, have a goal, a timeline so you know until when you have to keep your patience and longing for each other.

- Simple sweet surprises. Nowadays you can buy flowers or gifts over the internet and they can send it to your love one. It doesn't need to be expensive or extravagant, remember it's the thought that counts.

- Trust. This is a must. trust and faith that you will get through this and be together someday. trust that your partner won't do things that will hurt you and trust to yourself as well that you can do this.

- As the golden rule says: Don't do to others what you don't want others do unto you. Be a good partner if you want your partner to be a good one too.

There is a lot more pros, cons and tips out there for me these are some keys that I learned and help me get through this. 2 years together and almost 3 years apart, and I'm gladly to say in more than just a year from now, I will come home and plan our wedding. :)

(Click the external link for the original source.)