Chapter 4

Chapter 4-

Two weeks later

Louis walked into the doctor's office, Harry following closely behind. He walked over to the nurses' desk, pushing his fringe out of his face.

"Hi. I have an appointment with Dr. Burton at four-thirty." He tapped gently against the desk.

The woman searched her computer then looked up. "Louis Tomlinson?"

"Yes."

"Alright. Please fill out these forms while you wait, then just bring them back once you've finished."

Louis took the clipboard and a pen and walked over to where Harry was sitting. He crossed one leg over the other to support the board as he wrote and filled them out. He couldn't help but notice Harry shifting awkwardly out of the corner of his eye.

After about five minutes of this, Louis sighed.

"What's wrong," he asked.

"Just nervous. It's nothing, forget it."

"It's not nothing," Louis stated in a matter-of-fact tone as he filled out his birth date. "It's something."

"Don't people give us odd looks for being here? I mean...well, you know what I mean."

Louis straightened up and smiled at him. "Same sex couples come here for adoption and surrogate options. It's not uncommon; I've seen it before."

Harry sighed. "Wait-are you saying we're a couple?"

"In their eyes," he gestured. "Yes."

"Oh. I'm sorry, I'm paranoid."

Louis chuckled. "It's fine. We all have our moments."

He got up and returned the papers, sitting down next to Harry again.

He let out a shaky breath.

"What's wrong with you," Harry asked. "You nervous?"

"Yeah. What if something's wrong with the baby." he asked, placing a gentle hand on his belly.

Harry placed a hand on his knee reassuringly.

"If anything was, they'd detect something. I'm sure everything's fine. You haven't felt any pain, have you?"

Louis shook his head. "No. None."

"Then you're fine," Harry concluded. "You both are." 

Louis nodded, trying to act calm with Harry's hand on his knee. For days, he had been wondering why he had been getting so utterly nervous around him. He and Harry were always close. Physically and emotionally, but not once had Louis been nervous, or shaky, or had he blushed at a compliment or gesture from Harry. Until now. 

The smallest touch, the simplest words, and Louis' heart fluttered. After much thought, he concluded that it was the hormones and left it at that. 

"Louis?"

He was snapped out of his thoughts when a nurse came into the waiting room holding a manila folder with-what Louis assumed to be-his forms he'd just filled out.

He stood up, Harry as well, and followed the nurse into an examining room. For the entire short walk to the room, Louis felt Harry's hand gently resting on his lower back. A way of guidance, perhaps.

"Dr. Burton will be right with you," the nurse smiled.

Louis thanked her before hopping onto the examining table.