Rule 16

Rule 16 - Not proofread so, as per usual, please ignore the mistakes, I'll fix them at the end. 

            Melinda had her arms crossed over her chest, one perfectly shaped eyebrow raised. I just gave her a bored expression as her eyes whisked over my newly dyed hair. If it disappointed her or appealed to her, she didn't show it.

            "What have I done now?" I asked, moving to the side so that she could come in. She looked down at me from her heels and sniffed, walking swiftly past.

            "More like what you haven't done," she retorted. As she was walking into the living room, Sid emerged from the bathroom wearing an irritated expression.

            "What's she doing out of hell?" she asked and I let out a bark of laughter.

            "Terrorising me," I hissed and felt my heart rate increase. "I think she knows about college," I whispered. Sid's eyes widened and I swallowed. I'd really hoped that Dev would be around to help me when the truth came out.

            I inwardly told myself to calm down, she could've been up about me not ringing Mum or something. Not likely, but not completely impossible. 

            "Need backup?" Sid enquired. I shrugged, slowly following my sister into the living room.

            "Perhaps," I shot over my shoulder.

            Melinda had made her way over to the sofa, but rather than dropping onto it, she just looked at it in disgust. On my way in, I'd sent Dev a text, telling him we had another emergency.

            My sister's hair was curled neatly over one shoulder, the blonde shining in the light. She cocked her head to the side and studied me, still in my tank top and shorts.

            "Well?" I pushed. Melinda scrunched up her nose and brushed some imaginary dust from her dress.

            "College not good enough for you?" she asked bluntly and I raised my eyebrows, attempting to look as innocent as possible. Unfortunately, when trying to look like I've done nothing wrong, I tend to give off guilty signals. Such as when I walk past policeman, I know I haven't stabbed some old biddy, but the way they look at me makes me feel like I have.

            "College is fine? What are you on about?" I replied, folding my arms over my chest. Sid hadn't followed me through. So much for back up.