Chapter 10- Truth and Lies

"God damn it Louis..." Jay mumbled under her breath and brushed the dirt off her jeans.

Louis' mother had gone outside while the kids were at school to plant some flowers in the empty flower beds that were covered in weeds. Instead of just dirt she found something else buried among the deep roots of the ugly dead plants.

As Jay dug through the soil she had found several pills stashed away. She thought for a moment until she realized that those were Louis' pills. The pills that he was supposed to be taking to help with his problem. Louis had been taking the pills but instead of swallowing them he would hide them in the flower bed. It was a genuinely smart idea considering Jay never really did garden but Louis was obviously not expecting his mother to find them.

Jay slipped them into her pocket as the girls ran from their bus stop and inside. Lottie and Fizzy were giggling about some new cute boy at their school like girls normally did while Daisy and Phoebe argued over who did better on the spelling test at school.

"It looks good so far!" Lottie gushed as she looked at one of the flower beds that Jay had already completed, "I like the pink ones!

Jay smiled as she stood up, dirt falling from her jeans that were already screwed up with holes and patches that were sewn on.

Jay had to think of a way to get Louis to take these pills. It was either that or Louis could never know the truth.

Louis was never good with coping with the truth though. He always made up some excuse to why something happened.

Like when his parents split. Louis had convinced himself that a miracle was suddenly going to happen and they would magically be together again. He had thought that maybe if he wished hard enough it would come true.

Or when he first learned about death. He was five and his great grandfather had died. When his mother had told him the news Louis denied it and said that his great grandfather was just hiding and that they needed to look harder. At his funeral he had made up the excuse that the old man was sleeping in the casket and that they needed to wake him up. At that point Louis' mom removed him from the funeral and took him home.

A more recent time was when Louis would continuously hear voices telling him to go outside and stand in the middle of the road and that if he did he would receive the thing he most desired. Louis tried accepting the offer on multiple occasions and soon his mother had put an alarm on the door so she would wake up when he tried leaving. She tried explaining to him that the voices were lying and that they weren't real so he should just stay in bed but Louis' mind told him different.

Louis never gave up on listening to the voices in his head but was always stopped by his mom. One day however Louis was sitting at his desk studying when he heard a different kinder voice speak to him telling him that the other voices were wrong. The voice told him to go out into the field behind his house. There he would find what he truly wanted.

Louis followed the voices instructions and went and sat in the field. And that was it. As soon as he stepped foot into the field he could hear the soft slow soothing voice he longed for everyday since. That was the first day he started hearing Lyndsey.

What he most desired was to find someone who would listen. Who would tell him the truth. He wanted someone who wouldn't hurt him.

However the thing was that the truth hurt. If Lyndsey told the truth she would hurt Louis. Some things are best left unsaid.

~

"Louis! Time for dinner!" Called his little sister from the bottom of the stair case.

It took a few seconds but Louis slowly made his way down, Dragging his feet into the kitchen. His hair laid messily on top of his head and he wore the same white T-shirt he had been wearing for three days. He hadn't left his room since he got home and something was obviously upsetting him.

Louis' mind was so stuck on the idea of why Lyndsey wouldn't tell him the truth. Lyndsey had brushed the thought away. Maybe that was the only reason Lyndsey kissed him. What if she only did it to distract him from the question. Louis didn't want to believe it but he was starting to see the puzzle pieces he was missing before. The truth must be bad if everyone doesn't answer the question and ignore the idea.

He had been denying everything and thinking of it as a lie but he could be the one living a lie. What if one day he realizes that he is insane?

Right before his father left he told Louis how absolutely insane his son was and that he couldn't deal with it anymore. Louis refused, But it didn't seem so far fetched now. It seemed as though now every one was right.

"Louis?" Lottie cleared her throat to get her older siblings attention, "Heres your food..."

Louis sighed and snapped away from his thoughts. He took the food from Lottie's outstretched arms and went to go sit down at the table that his mom had already set with silverware.

Jay watched her son as he took a bite of the food. She had crushed up two of his pills and sprinkled it in with his food hoping he would eat it and get the same effect as if he would have just taken it.

She felt bad for him. He was such a confused young boy. All he needed was a little help though. And Jay would try her hardest to make sure her son got that help.