Chapter 11- Hollow

It had been a month. One long anxious and wanting month. It had been a month since Louis had last seen those bright brown eyes. Each day passed where Louis would walk straight to the field after school and sit down. He would wait for hours. He would sing, talk to himself, tell jokes, even recite poems to see if he could bring Lyndsey back. But she never came. Day after day Louis was more heart broken than the one before. To him he had no one to blame but himself.

"Its all my fault"

"She left because she's sick and tired of me"

"She thinks i'm some crazy freak"

"She doesn't love me the way I crave her"

Soon Louis stopped caring. He forgot how to smile. Instead of sitting in the field once he got home from school he would go upstairs and lock himself in his bed room. He stopped drawing. He stopped writing. Every single picture was torn off his walls. Every flower, every tree, every picture of those curly red locks was ripped apart and thrown away. All that was left of Louis' journal was now blank pages. Louis now shut his blinds. He always had his windows open and his blinds rolled up so he could see the field and listen to the birds chirping. But now no sunlight came in. The room was dark and empty just like Louis was.

It was almost like when Lyndsey left, she took a part of Louis away too. All he had left was this broken outer shell of what was. Louis' body way hollow. Lyndsey took away any sanity Louis had and a month later Louis is still missing.

He laid down on his bed, in his dark room that Daisy had often compared to a cave. He sat alone. Everything was so quiet until a sudden light from the door way illuminated the room. Lottie stuck her head in, eyes scanning over the place where her eldest sibling lay, "Louis?"

Louis didn't respond with words, he only opened one eye to signal that he was awake. "Louis, Mom says it's time for dinner..."

Louis got up slowly, moving towards the door, never once looking towards his little sister. Lottie would compare him to a zombie. He was there and was walking but it was as if he had no thoughts, nothing he could say,

Lottie followed behind Lou as they walked down to the kitchen. Her mind was wandering off with thoughts of if Louis was depressed or not. She was scared of if he might cut himself or deprive himself of sleep.

She had already noticed that he wouldn't eat his food for the past few days. She began to worry if he was purposely starving himself.

Lottie was the one doing most of the worrying now and days. The twins we're too young to understand what was going on with Louis. Fizzy didn't put down a book for one minute to even realize Louis was in pain. But their mom was the worse. She didn't care anymore. As long as Louis wasn't bugging her, she had nothing to worry about. Through the nights Louis had cried himself to sleep, she pretended not to hear his sorrow filled whimpers. After he went silent, she only cared that he remained silent. It didn't matter if he was dying on the inside. She didn't care anymore. She gave up.

Just like Louis. Louis gave up.

And as Lottie and Louis approached the kitchen, Jay crushed the pill almost all the way and quickly pushed it into Louis' dinner.

Louis took the plate from his mother, no eye contact being made, and started back up to his room so he could sit in darkness.

As the last light from down stairs faded with the shutting of his door, Louis looked down at his plate, seeing something. What he would normally explain as powdered parmesan cheese was on the side of his plate.

Louis turned on a light and looked closer at the substance. They were having meat loaf that night. It obviously wasn't parmesan cheese. It was a much lighter shade of white and when Louis swiped some off the plate and onto his tongue, it was flavorless.

That's when a picture came into Louis' mind. Many times he had walked into the kitchen and seen his mom smash something out of the corner of his eye. Only a few times had Louis became suspicious but now he had to know what the crushed powder was.

~

Louis waited till everyone was asleep before sneaking from his room, his curiosity coming back and getting the best of him. Louis slowly made his way down the stairs, hesitant to make a noise that would wake his mom or little siblings.

Louis soon found the light switch to the kitchen, after feeling at the wall for a second. He crept across the tile floor and over to the spice cabinet. He opened the cabinet door, flinching when it creaked on its hinges. He bit his lip softly and stood on his tippy toes to look inside.

He went through all of the spices not finding a single one to match the substance. The closest thing was salt but even he knew that salt was no were this chalky.

Just as he was about to give up Louis saw it. In the very back of the spice cabinet there was a small orange bottle with a white lid. Louis reached into the counter, grabbing the bottle and pulling it out to examine. It was for him.

Thats when it all clicked for Louis.

That was his medication bottle.

The white powder was his crushed up pills.

His mother was giving him medication.