A Bad Start

"Good morning class 5B. My name is Commander Spock, and I shall be teaching your math elective this year."

Ok. Don't panic, Alex.

"Despite the lack of punctuality from some of you," he ran his eyes over the students in the class, before focusing them on me, the look of distaste in his eyes making me squirm, "I am sure that you will find my lessons engaging and useful."

I sighed inaudibly.

This was going to be a long year, considering that the professor already hated my guts. I was beginning to regret sitting too close to the front of the classroom. I glanced around at the students immediately surrounding me, and noticed that each student had a large, thick grey calculator sat on their desks. I glanced down at my, much smaller silver one, and felt my face flush.

I had the wrong calculator.

Mine, a small simple calculator, could work out the basic calculations that I needed for my medical studies, however the graphical calculators on the desks of my peers were much more useful in a mathematics based setting.

Ah shit.

"If nobody has any initial questions, I'll begin." started the Commander, as he turned his back to the class and began to write a complicated expression on the interactive whiteoard.

"I... um... Sir?" I asked, raising my hand, and he turned back, chalk in his hand.

"Yes?" he replied, the contempt audible in his voice, his left eyebrow raised in an expression of disbelief at being interrupted.

"I... I have the wrong calculator..."

There was a low giggle that ran through the room, but I ignored it as best I could. My face didn't need to get any redder than it already was.

"You have the wrong calculator?" he repeated in disbelief.

"Um yes... I... I just have an ordinary one," I explained, holding up the thin grey calculator to prove it, much to the chagrin of the Commander.

"I can see that, yes." He sighed in exasperation and walked behind his desk, rooting in one of the small drawers and pulling out one of the larger graphical calculators.

He walked over to my desk and loomed over me, silently placing the calculator firmly in front of me, before striding back to the front of the class, and standing in front of us all with his hands clasped firmly behind his back.

"I assure all of the rest of you have managed to follow the simple instructions that I gave you at the end of last year?" he continued.

The room was silent, which the Commander took as an affirmative, and he nodded his head in approval, before turning back around and continuing to write on the board.

At the end of last year?! I had only found out that I was in the maths elective that morning! All of the students here must have already enrolled for maths by last June! Well, naturally, they would have their bloody graphical calculators, wouldn't they?

The Commander continued to write on the board, whilst I lifted up the hefty calculator and turned it over. A large sticker with 'Math dept.' covered the back of it. I turned it over again, and examined its front. There were more buttons than I knew what to do with. I didn't even know how to switch the bloody thing on, let alone calculate the log algorithm that Commander Spock had now finished on the board.

"Psst," came a voice next to me, and I spun my head around to see a human girl with curly blonde hair, green eyes and a small smile on her face.

She pointed to a small black button on the top left of her calculator and pressed it, and the screen came to life.