A Differing Perspective

SPOCK POV

Spock rubbed his temples with his left hand and checked the clock by the side of his table. 11:50pm. Far too late for any respectable Vulcan to be awake, even later for one to be still working. There was still a pile of unmarked papers on his kitchen table, but he had managed to break the back of the load. The conversation that he had last had with Doctor Leonard McCoy swam into his head. Surely it wasn't too immoral to ask one of the more capable students to assist him with his marking, as long as it didn't interfere with her schoolwork.

He froze.

Her schoolwork?

Had his brain really betrayed him, by already picking out a student that was suitable for the job? He couldn't deny to himself that Cadet Birchwood was the ideal student to ask for help from. She was intelligent, hardworking, lightning fast, and after today's conversation, he was positive that she would be able to manage her time sufficiently. So why was he so reluctant to ask for her help?

His mind ran back to their interaction earlier that day. He had been determined to confront her, after what he had come to understand was unacceptable behaviour. As a student, he was obliged to treat her no differently from any other member of the student body, and her test scores proved to him that he was incorrect in assuming that she wasn't up for the course. In theory, she was ideal to ask for assistance.

Spock stood up from his table, walking towards his kitchen and placing a kettle on the hob, pulling out a peppermint tea from a cupboard above his head. He needed to get that girl out of his mind.

He had only met the British girl a week ago, and already, she was invading his thoughts. It infuriated him to no end. Of course, he had overheard her and her Orion friend on that first day, when he walked past them on the way to class and they were in a deep conversation about the shortcomings of his species. His mind wandered back to the event, her easily recognisable accent echoing around the campus.

'I don't think Vulcans do fun.'

Her laughter rung around Spock's ears as he stormed past her, furious with her obvious dismissal of him. It was only when he began to examine his actions that he realised that he had done the exact same thing to her, dismissed her abilities without assessing them first.

He sighed to himself and rubbed his temples with his forefingers, kicking his shoes off and placing them beside the table. He padded into his bedroom in his socks, pulling his regulation blue Starfleet shirt off over his head, and throwing it into the laundry basket by the door. He sat down the end of his bed and bent down, pulling his black socks off and tossing them in the same direction as his shirt. He blinked twice, hard, trying to erase the smug face that seemed to have imprinted itself onto his retinas. He had had students who had affected him emotionally in the past, of course, students that he had liked and disliked, but none of them stayed in his mind past the classroom.

This was different.

She plagued him.

The high shrill whistle of the boiled kettle brought him out of his thoughts, and he pushed himself up off the bed and walked back out to the kitchen in just his black trousers, pulling the kettle off the hob and making himself a cup of peppermint tea. He carried it with him to his couch and sat down, decidedly ungracefully, taking a calm and measured sip of his tea, scalding as the hot liquid burned down his throat, thinking of the day's events.

ALEX POV

"Shots! Shots! Shots!" Yelled T'yonga as I poured my fifth glass of tequila down my throat, gagging at the intense taste.

"Gaahh..." I muttered, and a firm hand patted my back roughly, but I had no idea who it was. The alcohol went straight to my brain, blurring my already hazy vision.