A Strange And Unexpected Cup of Tea

The answer to my question was found out soon enough. As soon as I walked through the door I was barraged with questions from my roommate. T'yonga was perched on the counter in an oversized t-shirt with a picture of a fat orange cat drinking a margherita, and blue tracksuit pants. Her eyes lit up when I finally got home.

"What did he want? What did he ask you? Did he ask you for a quic-"

"He wants me to mark some papers for him." I cut T'yonga off, not wanting to hear the end of her third question, "I'm staying after Uni Tomorrow for an hour to mark first year's papers for extra credit."

She was silent for a while, then hopped off the counter and placed the kettle on the hob, looking back at me with a smile, "And that's all?"

I threw my leather jacket and satchel messily on the couch, following them quickly by plonking myself down, un-braiding my hair and letting it fall in dark waves around my shoulders, deliberately not answering her question.

"Cup of tea?" T'yonga asked, clattering around in the kitchen.

"I'd love one, thanks," I replied, stretching my feet out in front of me and resting them on the beige footstool, kicking off my heavy black boots and wiggling my toes.

"Why aren't you going out, 'Yonga? It's only five at night?" I asked her. Usually, T'yonga wasn't there when I got home, preferring to stay in college for an extra hour to get her work done before heading off to one of the many pubs and clubs in the area to catch up with James. T. Kirk, who she was still going strong with, much to my surprise.

She sighed and came to sit next to me, handing me a large mug of tea and taking a sip out of her own, placing her long legs next to mine on the footstool.

"Jim's not in the mood. He's pissed off."

I sat up in interest, looking at her in concern. Jim was annoyed? Jim always seemed like the kind of guy who always had a smile on his face. What could possibly have annoyed him?

"What happened, what did you do?"

She threw back her head in laughter, her curly red hair bouncing.

"Why do you always assume that I'm in the wrong, Alex? It's not me he's annoyed at, it's the academy."

My eyebrows wrinkled in confusion. "The academy? Why's he pissed off wth the academy?"

She placed her tea on her lap, and adjusted her position, whilst I took a sip of mine. It was perfect, just the right balance of sugar and milk. I nodded at her to show my appreciation and she smiled in recognition.

"I may not be able to make toast, but I can make a damn good cup of tea. Anyway, Jim's pissed off at the academy because he failed this big test. He thinks it was rigged."

I snorted to myself at the audacity of the situation, as if Starfleet would ever rig a test, and T'yonga smiled at my reaction.

"Yeah, tell me about it. He's convinced that it's impossible to complete. It's got a Japanese name or something, like the Kiboyaru Maura, I don't know."

My ears pricked up at the name, and suddenly, I understood.

"You mean the kobayashi maru?" I asked incredulously, shocked that T'yonga had never heard of it. It was practically infamous. The test, given to future captains, was apparently impossible to complete. I had seen countless captains-in-training exiting the Kobayashi Maru test looking like they wanted to kill somebody, sometimes themselves.

"That's like the worst test in the whole of Starfleet, 'Yonga. I think Spock helped to design it."

Her eyes lit up, and she looked at me with a shit-eating grin on her face as I realised my mistake.