The Big Test

A slightly shorter Chapter today, I'm afraid, as it focuses entirely on the Kobayashi Maru test. Also, I tried to write in in 3rd person (Not focusing on any particular character), so I hope that went alright, because it's not something I usually do. As always, fav and follow and review xx

**********************

"We are receiving a distress signal from the U.S.S Kobayashi Maru," Uhura's voice rung loudly in the simulation room, "The ship has lost power and is stranded. Starfleet Command has ordered us to rescue them."

The room was the exact size and shape of the hull of a ship, and, despite being only a simulation, all of the people on board were feeling a slight sense of anxiety at the situation. A stranded ship usually meant bad news.

The only member of the crew who seemed completely at ease with himself was James Tiberius Kirk, who lounged in the Captain's chair with his leg resting casually on the control panel in front of him. He brought a shiny red apple to his lips and took a large bite, looking at Uhura with an irritating calmness. Jim knew that Alex had rigged the test for him, and was positive she wasn't the kind of person who would fail. With her and Gailia, his Orion friend, at the helm of this little bit of treason, there was no doubt in his mind. He was going to be fine.

"Starfleet Command has ordered us to rescue them... Captain." He corrected Uhura, and to his satisfaction, she raised her eyebrows in shock at his cocky laid-back response. To her credit, she bit back the scathing retort that would have said, and instead spun back around on her chair to face her screen, fuming.

Leonard McCoy rolled his eyes at the cockiness of this new student, and glanced at his console.

"Klingon Vessels have entered the neutral zone, and they're firing on us." He drawled in his thick Southern accent. Hopefully with the threat of attack, the farm-boy might actually get his head in gear and do something.

"That's okay." Jim responded, spinning around in his chair and taking another bite out of his apple.

"That's okay?"

"Yeah. Don't worry about it."

Above the room, in a small observation chamber, Commander Spock clenched his fist. This was a serious test, despite only being a simulation. He had designed it himself, with the idea in mind that nobody could pass it. Why was this Cadet being so flippant towards the obvious danger of the impending Klingons? He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself. Anger was of no use to a Vulcan, and this Cadet wasn't going to get an emotional response out of him.

"Did he just say, 'Don't worry about it'?" One of the test administrators asked, her greying brown hair scraped tightly into a severe bun on her head, making her sharp face look even more pointed.

Her Co-worker turned to her, a look of complete disbelief on his face, "I think he just did... what the hell is he doing?"

Jim Kirk, oblivious to the discussion in the observation deck, was feeling very pleased with himself.

"Three more Klingon Warbirds decloaking and targeting our ship," Leonard said, giving Jim a disgusted glance, "I don't suppose this is a problem either?"

"Nah."

Jim's nonchalance was beginning to annoy the simulation crew, and a particularly pissed off Weapons officer turned round from her screen to face him, her eyes angry.

"They're firing, 'Captain'"

James ran his hand through his hair, completely calm despite the chaos surrounding him. He knew how this was going to go.