Sleighbells Ring, Are You Listening?

Hello all, thanks for stopping by. At 3700 words, this is my longest chapter to date, so I hope you enjoy. For all of you who are getting impatient about how GODDAMN SLOW this relationship is going, fear not...

something is afoot in this Chapter. I know, mysterious mysterious. I can't help myself.

Also, for those of you who don't know, a 'Secret Santa' is where a group of people each buy a present for a different person in the group, but nobody knows who bought who what, if you get my gist. Hopefully, it explains itself here.

This chapter is dedicated to YOU GUYS for coming back and putting up with me. Hope you enjoy, and as always, please review xx (i got like 25 reviews last time this is wild but pleeeaaasssee I read and treasure every review even the ones that just say 'nice chapter' like I love getting them) Also thank you v much to Becky and Erin, without whom this work would be 65% spelling mistakes and 35% incorrect grammar and lexical choices.

***********************

Christmas came quickly to Starfleet, and by the beginning of December, I could barely move for the amount of tinsel and decorations hanging from the ceilings and walls. The only classroom that I had noticed containing not a single decoration was, surprise surprise, Professor Spock's. His room was as drab and dreary as always, without a single sprig of holly to brighten the mood.

Much to everyone's surprise, though, he had begrudgingly agreed to take part in a class 'Secret Santa' (after a lot of persuasion). Each member of the maths class, including the teacher, put their names into a hat, which were drawn out randomly, one name for each person. That person then had to buy a Christmas present for their assigned person, and bring it in at the end of term, The name I picked out was Jacob Leonard, a quiet boy who sat at the back of the class, and occasionally beat me in the weekly tests that we were given. I bought him a small book of mind-puzzles and a green scarf, because he always seemed to be shivering. When Spock picked his allotted name out of the hat, he had looked at it with a mysterious expression that was a cross between amusement and irritation, and I smiled to myself. I doubted that he had any idea what to buy a student as a Christmas present. Knowing him, he would probably opt for a book on algebraic equations and a calculator.

The Monday after my unexpected rescue from the clutches of a particularly handsy student, I had expected him to confront me and to discuss what had happened, but on the contrary, he had only given me a small nod of recognition at the beginning of my Maths lesson, and had said nothing. I was sure that I hadn't imagined the moment in the car, when he had looked at me like there was nothing that he would rather do than take my hand and never let go, but he seemed adamant to forget it. After the lesson, I had approached him at his desk, bag slung over my shoulder, my hair scraped back into a tight bun, and thanked him.

"What for, Cadet?"

"What for?" I scoffed, "for saving my ass on Saturday night. If it wasn't for you, who knows what would have happened?"

He refused to make eye contact with me, instead looking directly at the papers on his desk, which were certainly not interesting enough to hold his full attention.

"Ah yes. Well, Cadet, you're welcome. I would have done the same for any of my students."

I nodded, and hoisted the bag slightly higher up on my shoulder, and turned to go. Just before I reached the door, however, I turned back again, surprised to see his eyes, not on his desk, but directly on me.

"Just out of curiosity, Sir, what happened to Matthew Jacobson?"

Either it was all in my imagination or he stiffened slightly at the mention of the man who had assaulted me.