Thunderbolts and Lightning

Hello there once again. Firstly, to say a big thanks to everyone who reveiwed and faved, you guys rock.

As for this Chapter... well... let's just say that the wait may or may not be over...

dun

dun

dun

cliffhanger. (This Chapter brings my word count over 40,000 my longest story to date)

As always please please hit me up and tell me what you thought xx I'll shut up now and let you get on with the chapter.

Also, fun fact, this was the first Chapter I ever wrote of this fic, and i kind of changed it a bit to fit in with stuff that has happened in past Chapters, so without this Chapter, Alex wouldn't exist, and what a terrible world that would be ;)

To set the scene, Alex is back from Christmas holidays, and is about three weeks into the term (It's a Thursday) :)

****************************************

"You have to hold the needle at about a forty degree angle..." muttered Dr. Leonard McCoy, as he pointed to a diagram of a lumbar puncture in a book resting on his lap.

I leant over to get a closer look, placing my mug of tea down on the table top and shifting up next to him. We were both in his apartment in the teacher's lodgings, sat close by each other on his brown leather couch. This was not an uncommon situation, as I often needed help with my studies, and Dr. McCoy was always available for out-of-hours teaching.

"But shove it in a bit further if it's a Klingon, right Doctor?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Klingons have tough skin, period. Give the needle an extra few centimetres. That should do it. And seriously, Birchwood, call me Bones. I'm off duty. Stop making me feel like a teacher in my own living room."

I had to smile at that. Despite being my teacher, Leonard was also one of my close friends. He'd bandaged me up more times than I cared to recall, and I could always rely on him when I got stuck on a subject. Starfleet medicine was infinitely more complicated than an ordinary medical degree. I not only had to learn all about the human body, but also about every other species under the sun. It wasn't unusual for me to send a quick email to Bones, asking if he could spare a few hours to go over a topic with me.

I had settled back into Starfleet well after returning from my Christmas holiday, and by my third week back, I was well and truly into the swing of things. I had partly expected Professor Spock to mention the email that I had accidentally sent him over the Christmas period, but our marking sessions had been as silent as usual. Although, it may have just been my imagination, but I could swear that I noticed him glancing up from his work to focus his attention on me from time to time.

I glanced at my watch as I took another sup of tea, the scalding liquid burning my throat on the way down.

Holy shit, it was half past one.

I'd been here for four hours!

"Ah crap..." I muttered, and he looked up, his blue eyes concerned.

"You alright there, Alex? Don't tell me you're going soft..."

He gestured to the graphic picture in the textbook, and I smirked and shook my head.

"Not at all, I'm basically numb to gore now, Bones. It's just it's getting late. I should probably head off. I have an early start tomorrow."

He smiled and nodded his head, closing the heavy book and placing it on the work surface next to the innumerable empty cups of tea.

"You need a lift home, Alex? It's getting pretty late..." he got up and looked uncertainly out of the large window in his room at the darkened streets below, "I'd hate for something to happen to you..."