chapter xxiv

Chapter 23

They Don’t Believe In Us

Gerard sat still, staring unblinking up at her as she sobbed her heart out. Alicia and Jamia reacted first, as they reached up and pulled her down on an empty seat that conveniently seemed to be between them.

Frank had an un-amused look on his face, as he stared stonily towards Lindsey. I guess she wasn’t forgiven in his eyes.

“I’m so sorry!” She choked out during her struggling tears. I wasn’t quite sure what to do; I wasn’t sure about Lindsey yet after the whole Gerard incident. She looked towards Gerard slowly and awkwardly.

I swear in that moment she had never looked sadder, and Gerard had never looked so dazed and in love. She whispered; but loud enough for us to hear.

“I’m so sorry Gerard,” Those simple words seemed like an essay, like she was spilling her heart with four words, her emotions and expressions made it seem so sincere and so much more real.

Lindsey’s black hair was pulled into two messy pigtails, and the make-up she was previously wearing was smeared around her eyes, although it still made her look bad-ass and stunning. Gerard stared unblinking, as if drinking in everything about Lindsey after the three or so days he hadn’t seen her. Lindsey sat back down, and our gazes were immediately fixed on her.

“I’ll explain myself, and if you still hate me… I’m sorry; I really hope we can put this behind us.” Her orbs were drawn to Gerard’s like a magnet, and although she was talking to the rest of us as well she seemed to only have eyes for him. As she told her story she stared intently into his eyes, not moving until it was over.

“I really like you Gerard, like really, really like you and to be honest I have for a long time and it was basically like we were dating anyway and when you asked me to go out with you I was overjoyed and I still to this day don’t know why I said no. I’m sorry. I honestly don’t know, I guess I was really nervous before and afraid it just got me confused and scared slightly. It’s a stupid reason I know, but please forgive me.”

Nobody said anything as it would be awkward and wrong to ruin such a moment, although I wanted to say ‘Aww’ or something. A few seconds or so went by, when Gerard finally responded.

“I forgive you,” Those mere three words made everyone on the table relax visible, although of course Lindsey seemed the happiest, a giant grin spread over her features. Her next words took a while for her to choke out though,

“W-will you go out with… me?” She stuttered and pondered over the words, but finally spat them out.

“Yes.” Gerard stated a shy smile slipping onto his face, “But we still need to talk over things soon,” His mouth stretched into a tentative smile. Lindsey made an incoherent sound of joy still sat between Jamia and Alicia.

It seemed that he took her back too easily, but I knew that Gerard was head over heels for her by now, and by the looks of it Lindsey was just as infatuated with Gerard. Although Lindsey was usually the calm bad-ass, around Gerard her composure slipped and she turned shy and mushy. The little slip up in their relationship was nothing compared to a lifetime or wrongs, she was confused and afraid, maybe Gerard was too bold, but they sorted out their differences, after every storm is a rainbow as people say.

We all just smiled slightly, happy that the couple had finally sorted out the bump in their long and joyous road. Soon enough talk went back to random things; the grins on all of ours faces were unmovable.

I hoped we would never go back to times where Gerard drank himself into oblivion and cut himself just to feel numb and alive again, where I wouldn’t have to speak to Gerard about drugs, suicide or therapy, where Mikey won’t cry and feel so useless to his brother, where I wouldn’t feel like I was failing my friends because I couldn’t help them when they were hurting.