chapter xix

Chapter 18 

They Don’t Believe In Us

I launched into the song, hoping to erase the group of people eagerly listening to me sing. I wasn’t the most confident person, and, although I loved singing – I was never sure about myself.

“And I'd give up forever to touch you ‘cos I know that you feel me somehow, you're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be and I don't want to go home right now.” I imagined I was Kellin Quinn singing it; his beautiful melodic voice was almost ringing in my ears.

I could faintly hear clapping, or something, but I drowned out everyone else – just focusing on perfecting my voice in front of both My Chemical Romance and Mindless Self Indulgence.

“…And I don't want the world to see me ‘cos I don't think that they'd understand, when everything's meant to be broken I just want you to know who I am…” I launched into my favourite lines – the chorus – just wishing that I could be strumming an acoustic guitar along to this song.

I opened my eyes slightly, almost cautiously, spotting Gerard grinning like the Cheshire cat and Ray – with an arm around Bree – smiling proudly towards me.

Finishing off with,

“I just want you to know who I am…” I was met with applause, almost as loud as a clap of thunder.

This time people rushed up to me, instead of the other way around, I was smiling widely – almost mimicking Gerard’s face like the Cheshire cat earlier.

“I suggest we go to the Carnival now!” Jimmy proclaimed excitedly.

“Uh, Carnival?” Mikey questioned.

“Uh, what?!” Gerard said dumbfound. I chuckled slightly,

“Okay, Jimmy, what the hell?” I didn’t even hear of any Carnival around here.

“Well,” Jimmy started, “Before I came here to visit Lindsey with Kitty and Steve, I did some research!” Jimmy stated proudly.

“So?” Frank wondered, not seeing the relevance to any Carnival.

“So, I heard there is a Carnival today, just out of New Jersey, at seven pm.” Glancing at the clock I found it was half six already.

“Let’s leave now!” Frank almost screamed, pulling himself and Jamia out of the house, with us following in hot pursuit.

We all grabbed our necessary things; me grabbing my panda slouchy hat and pulling on purple Doc Martens.

I was the last one out of the house, alone; everyone was just stood outside looking positively lost.

“How do we get there?” Alicia said sadly, gesturing around herself. As me, Gerard, Frank and Lindsey where only 16 and Mikey, Alicia, Ray and Bree where only 15 – none of us had even looked at a driving test yet, let alone learnt to drive.

“How old are you guys?” Gerard spoke to Kitty, Steve and Jimmy.

“Still 16,” Both Jimmy and Kitty said, looking disappointed, Steve raised his hand shyly.

“Uh I’m 17, I can drive…” Lindsey slapped her forehead,

“Of course!” She said brightly, looking as though every single problem had been solved.

I hated to break everyones bubble but, “Car?” I could almost see everyone’s egos deflating.

“Not big enough to carry everyone.” Gerard sighed.

I turned to see a giant garage at the front of Bree’s house opening, she was smirking slightly, and the ‘clang’ of the door opening got everyone’s attention. There in the wide open space stood a shiny seven seater people carrier type car.