chapter vi

• Dedicated to Ray Toro

Chapter 5

They Don’t Believe In Us

“That’s Ray Toro” He pointed to the guy hidden slightly by the out-going boy “And that is Frank Iero” He smiled slightly at the outgoing face of Frank. I laughed analysing the drawing further.

“How did you meet them?” I asked curiously, wondering how Gerard could have become great friends with Ray and Frank in the few hours I had not been attached to him like glue.

“Through Mikey, he plays Bass, Ray plays Guitar and Frank plays rhythm guitar, I met them all through that”

“You should start a band! Do you play drums or something?” I asked, genuinely interested.

“We are in a band, No… I sing” Gerard singing?!

“Seriously?” I asked, who knew, it’s true what they say, don’t judge book by its cover. Gerard just nodded, wondering why I was so surprised.

“We better –Uhm” I coughed to get Gerard’s attention, he looked at me “We better get to art” I’m surprised he did not know what lessons were which and when we had them.

“You need to learn our timetable!” I moaned, hauling my art project behind me. He walked silently alongside me, Emily was heading to her next lesson, Mikey and Alicia were still sat at the table, but it was silent, they were not talking.

Art was always my favourite lesson, I did not have to worry about Gerard, he was happy, and he got lost in his work. Emily was not in that lesson so I didn’t have to leave Gerard out. After all I was only doing this to because I was assigned to show him around. There was no awkward silence- we never spoke. I put my brush to the canvas, my hand moved this way and that, before I knew it the lesson had ended and I had painted a fabulous piece of work.

Our assessments were handed in; Mrs Perry congratulated me, admiring our favourite things.

“Is that a unicorn, Hope?” She chuckled, pointing to Mikey, I grinned slightly.

“Yeah” I replied. Gerard stepped forward, handing his assignment to the teacher, I saw her analyse it, her smile getting wider and wider as she saw all of Gerard’s favourite things.

“Well, Mr Way, this is very good! You can really learn a lot from someone’s drawings you know,” Gerard supressed and smile, not wanting himself to look big headed, so he blushed instead.

Mumbling ‘thank you’ we walked out the classroom, that day passed uneventfully, before I knew it, the bell had gone. Signalling that one more day of hell was over.

 Gerard had been quiet in that lesson, so to cease the silence I and Emily had messed around, giving us both a 5 minute detention at the end of the day. Damn stupid Geography teachers! The class piled out of the stuffy classroom, leaving me and Emily stuck with the ginormous teacher.

“Now girls, do you realise why I kept you after school had finished?” I squirmed in my seat, I hated when the teachers asked me direct questions.

“We were talking miss,” Emily responded, sarcastically stating the obvious. I rolled my eyes- a habit I seemed to be getting myself into. Luckily she didn’t notice, she was too intent on trying to work if Emily was being rude or not. I could literally hear the cogs in her brain working, or should I say cog? She dismissed it, turning to me. Oh great!

“So, Hope, what do you have to say for yourself?” She peered down at me through her glasses, perched precariously on the end of her particularly large nose.

“Well, my parents are going to be wondering where I am?” I asked, knowing that my parents probably won’t have noticed that I would be late. Hopefully she will just let us go. I feel like a freaking prisoner!