chapter xiii

Chapter 12

They Don’t Believe In Us

The school day ended in a rush – and before I knew it, I was walking home with Gerard, Mikey, Frank and Ray. They in lived in this part of town; however Lindsey, Alicia and Jamia all lived in the ‘good’ part of town – where Emily lived as well.

“I’m going to get some stuff, and then I’ll be right over, okay?” The boys nodded as I made my way down to the bottom of our street. I stepped into the house – hearing the T.V blaring – do they watch television all day or something?! I ran upstairs – grabbed my clothes and some snacks – ready to go to Gerard’s.

“Hope?”

“Yes mom?” I entered the living-room, plopping onto a couch and ignoring my step-dad completely.

“Where are you going?” She gestured to my bag with my spare clothes and sleep-over necessities.

“I’m, Uhm, going to a sleep-over.” I responded, hoping to get to Gerard’s before I got side-tracked.

“Are you going to Emily’s?” My mother asked - it was normal for me to sleep over hers and for her to sleep over mine.

“No, not this time. I’m going to Gerard and Mikey’s, Ray, Frank, Lyn, Alicia and Jamia will be there – so it’s all fine.” I smiled, as she nodded – giving her permission that I could leave.

“Don’t be back too late tomorrow!”

“I won’t.” I called, slamming the door shut and jogging over to Gerard’s house.

Crap’ I muttered under my breath – I had no clue which house was his and Mikey’s. The last time I had been here it was dark and these houses all looked the same. I walked up and down the street – in one window I spotted batman figurines and various comic heroes and villains lining the window-sill.

I’m going to look so stupid if that’s not the right house – but it’s my only shot. I knocked twice, patiently waiting for someone to answer the door.

“HOPE!” Frank tackled me to the ground. I fell with an ‘Oofft’. Remind me never to let Frank answer the door to anyone.

“FRANK! Jeez, Hope are you okay?” Mikey pulled me up, kicking Frank in the process – who was still lying on the ground after tackling me to the ground. I decided to kick Frank too – for good measure.

“LET’S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!” Frank screamed from the floor – spotting Jamia, Alicia and Lindsey come through the door.

Alicia and Mikey embraced each other as did Frank and Jamia (once he had got up off the floor).

Lindsey followed Gerard into the living-room – food was spread out on the table and horror movies littered the floor.

“My parents are out for the night… so, yeah.” Gerard began – gesturing around himself.

“I’ll show you and Alicia and Hope where everything is, okay?” Gerard said to Lindsey, he left the boys and Jamia to choose some movies for later. We ventured around the house;

“Bathroom is there…” Gerard creaked open the door, and then moved on.

“And, this is my fabulous room!” Gerard flung open the door, I immediately spotted the figurines on the window-sill and his drawings displayed all over the walls, along with posters of Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Black Flag, Morrissey and the Smiths.

“Cool stuff,” I commented, admiring his drawings.

“Wow!” Alicia breathed, “You are amazing at art.” Lindsey commented – looking closely at drawings of The Misfits logos and the members of Iron Maiden. I laughed at some graphic art Gerard had done.