Spelling Bee

I never went to pre-k nor did I attended kindergarten, my sister Mirtha and Yira did, while I hung still with Cuca.  They started school. Mirtha would come to San Joaquin on Fridays after school and show me all she would learn while in school. She would have homework, I wanted to learn so once Mirtha started first grade she taught me how to read and write like her. I would be her student. I was so excited to be in school and having Mirtha be my teacher. It was the best thing since sliced bread. So ladies and gentlemen I was reading and writing at 5. When I entered the first grade the teachers were elated. They couldn't believe I could read or write that well. My sweet sister taught me my first lessons. I love my sister.
My first grade teacher name was Nora E Diaz. I will never forget that name. She had a hair full of Gray hair. She was big and sweet but strict. I guess you'll have to be dealing with hyper little souls. She soon found out I was a fast learner so I became her pet. This was in public Panamanian school. We started there then transferred to Diablo Elementary school. The competitions began in literacy week. Spelling bee's, oratory, reading. Grammar, etc. I was picked to represent my grade. Surely I won the reading and spelling one. Then I won school wide, then nation wide. They gave me an encyclopedia. I was upset. I figured I'd get toys or something like that. No luck. Then at Diablo Elementary school, once I dominated the language, I represented my grade too. Won again, I was a reading fool. I did this until I was in the 4th grade. They gave me some puzzles and paper dolls. I decided that year I was done. Leonel went to see me compete, grandmother had to work. He took my prizes home and I went back to school. I was disappointed. That was the end of that. My sister was a good speller and had great penmanship. And was arithmetic savvy. I hated math but got along with it until I met up with algebra. My brains couldn't wrap itself around the formulas. I still can't  sometimes. I still love reading, writing is nit my forte only because grammar is hard because of the foreign language influence. But I'm going to get it right soon.