Chapter 8 ~ Acquaintances

© 2013 by Authorninja. All rights reserved.

-

Chapter 8 ~ Acquaintances

My first day in school was actually pretty boring. Since it was a Boarding school, everyone seemed pretty close, grouped out. Strangely, it wasn't as posh or snobby as I thought it would be. I guess that opinion just came from reading stories about snobby schools. And because reading is the only thing that helps me learn about the human world, I do a lot of reading.

Luckily, I didn't bump into Josias again. My second period was Drama, my third was Art, my fourth was a free period but I still made sure to avoid Josias and the final period, after lunch, was Business. I never understood why I asked the Elders to sign me up for Business. I guess I just thought it was the closest thing to what I have to do when I'm an elder: Run a community.

The school was strange. I had nothing to compare it to, but it was nothing like how I imagined a school would be. The seniors chose the subjects that they would study, which I never read about.

Also, there was one thing that surprised me the most: Charlotte was popular already.

I guess it wasn't much of a surprise, since Charlotte had always been the social one out of the two of us. She was the typical sweet, caring and beautiful girl in the human's eyes. On the first day she had already gotten requests to sit with her at lunch, and a couple of admirers. I guess Jason, Harry and I had some attention too but everyone knew who was the nicest among us.

I was the worst to talk to, since I was sarcastic and harsh most of the time to people I felt threatened by. But the four of us knew that the humans' attraction towards us was because we were Hybrids. Hybrids were stronger, more attractive and generally more enhanced than humans. Mortals got easily mesmerized by a Hybrid's specialties and outstanding tendencies.

I had noticed that Josias seemed popular too, the girls fawned over him. They were practically begging for his attention, which seemed a little stupid. But, I saw what they were interested in. If I concentrated really hard, I could see that he was hot. But seeing him made me want to puke. Not because of looks or whatever; just because of the stench of his species. It was disgusting.

I heard the annoying bell ring, signalling that it was time for lunch. I walked out of the library; the best place to avoid a thick-headed Vampire, and headed for the lunch room. I bought a sandwich and strolled around the room to find my friends. I saw them sitting on their own table, a small one in the corner slightly distant from other tables. Purposely chosen so that we wouldn't have people asking to sit with us, of course.

I sat in the seat that Charlotte saved for me and smiled, greeting the troop. I started biting my sandwich as I discreetly scanned the area for any Vampires or enemies. I didn't see or smell any Hybrids, apart from my friends; of course.

When I was almost done with my food; a thick stench of blood and dirt waved through the air. All four of us stopped eating, and snapped our heads up. I turned around to see who entered the room; and of course it was Josias.

But he wasn't alone.

He was with a group of teenage boys and girls. They were smiling and laughing; including Josias. Until his eyes connected with mine and his smile dropped. We just stared at each other for a while until one of his friends pulled him away.

It was a female Vampire, and as she dragged him away she noticed me and she gave me a hidden snarl. I hoped it was because of the stare-contest Josias and I just had, not because of the fact that I was a Shapeshifter and was probably going to end up killing her.